Avon fire destroys batteries, generators, solar panels and more

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·1 min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

May 24—AVON — The cause of a Friday fire that destroyed a shed and contents in it including batteries and generators used to power a house will remain undetermined because of the extensive damage, Phillips fire Chief Jim Gould said on Monday.

The fire at the home of Glendon Bachelder on Bob Oberton Road, off the Avon Valley Road, was reported at about 2:15 p.m. The family lives off the grid, Gould said.

A shed about 10 by 10 feet was already engulfed in flames before firefighters arrived. Six to eight batteries, the size that would go in a tractor-trailer truck, were destroyed, Gould said. Two or three solar panels above the shed that converted sunlight into electricity to fill the batteries, which then provided electricity to the house, were also destroyed, Gould said.

A large generator and a smaller one in the shed, a four-wheeler and a plow attachment system outside of the shed were also destroyed.

A resident put water on the house to stop the fire from spreading, Gould said. The siding on a portion of the home melted.

About 14 firefighters from Phillips, Weld and Salem Township responded. Gould said he called off other mutual aid departments after he arrived on scene.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting