Ban urges probe of Saudi strikes on UN compound in Yemen

Yemen slid deeper into turmoil when the Saudi-led coalition launched air strikes in late March to stop an advance by the Iran-backed Huthi rebels (AFP Photo/Mohammed Huwais)

United Nations (United States) (AFP) - UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday called for a full investigation after Saudi coalition air strikes hit a UN compound in Yemen.

A guard was injured when the office of the UN Development Programme in the southern city of Aden was hit on Sunday, causing serious damage, said UN spokesman Farhan Haq.

"The secretary-general urges a full investigation into this incident and that anyone found to be responsible for any breaches be held to account," said Haq.

He added that the incident underscored the need to end the fighting in Yemen and return to the negotiation table.

Yemen slid deeper into turmoil when the Saudi-led coalition launched air strikes in late March to stop an advance by the Iran-backed Huthi rebels who drove the president into exile.

Saudi Arabia and its Gulf allies are demanding that the Huthis pull back from territory seized in their offensive and that President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi be restored to power.

A week of UN-brokered talks in Geneva earlier this month failed to narrow differences.