Snag This Highly Rated Suitcase At 50 Percent Off!
We updated this article in January 2023 to ensure our top-tested luggage recommendations were in stock and included accurate links.
No matter how often or why you're traveling, you’ll need a suitcase that suits your needs. It has to be spacious enough to hold all your stuff, light enough to carry around and durable enough to last year after year.
The Good Housekeeping Institute’s Textiles Lab tests luggage of all kinds, from carry-ons and underseat bags to smart luggage, hardside cases, checked bags and more. We evaluate in them in the Lab by measuring things like abrasion and scratch resistance, water resistance, weight and size, ease of use and durability. We also perform packing tests to compare compartments and see how much each can hold. Then we bring in consumer testers to use the luggage in an obstacle course and give feedback on aspects like handle comfort, wheel performance and maneuverability. In our most recent evaluation, we tested 25 of the hottest new styles and logged over 4,000 data points to find the best cases you can buy.
After combing through the past 10 years of test data with thousands of additional scores, we’ve selected the best luggage brands based on top-performing cases from our review, our expert favorites that we use when we travel, and newer styles with unique features. Here are the best luggage brands to buy in 2023.
Our top picks:
- Best Overall Luggage: Away
- Best Value Luggage: Open Story
- Best Luggage for Frequent Flyers: Hartmann
- Best Under-$100 Luggage: AmazonBasics
- Best Luggage for Families: Thule
- Best Luggage for Long Trips: L.L.Bean
- Best Luggage for Infrequent Flyers: American Tourister
- Best Luggage for Business Travel: Samsonite
- Best Luggage for Adventure Travel: Eagle Creek
- Best Luggage for Flight Crews: TravelPro
- Best Luxury Luggage: Bric’s
- Best Classic Hardside Luggage: Rimowa
- Best Printed Luggage: Heys
- Best Luggage Customer Service: Tumi
Read on after our picks for an in-depth look at how we test luggage, plus more information on what you should consider while shopping for new suitcases. There's still plenty of time to scoop one up before the holidays—many of these retailers offer two-day shipping.
These are the best luggage brands, from budget to luxury picks, based on laboratory testing, including suitcases from Away, Samsonite, Tumi, Amazon and more.