BIRMINGHAM, AL — U.S Attorney Jay Town of the Northern Disrtrict of Alabama says the coronavirus crisis in the country is bringing out scams targeting the fears of victims during this crisis. Town spoke with WVTM about these scams this week.
Examples of the COVID-19 schemes Town has seen include:
- Individuals and businesses selling fake cures for COVID-19 online and engaging in other forms of fraud.
- Phishing emails from entities posing as the World Health Organization or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Malicious websites and apps that appear to share Coronavirus-related information to gain and lock access to your devices until payment is received.
- Seeking donations fraudulently for illegitimate or non-existent charitable organizations.
- Medical providers obtaining patient information for COVID-19 testing and then using that information to fraudulently bill for other tests and procedures.
Don't miss the latest coronavirus updates from health and government officials in Alabama. Sign up for Patch news alerts and newsletters for what you need to know daily.