Has your household's conversation dried up during lockdown? Have you run out of things to say to family members during video calls because none of you have actually done anything?
Then what better way to pass the time and fill those awkward silences than with a Zoom-based family quiz? If nothing else it's an opportunity to achieve a smug sense of superiority over friends and relatives, young or old, near or far.
With that in mind, we've compiled a BRAND NEW fiendish, formidable and possibly frustrating 50-question quiz, ideal for sharing over Zoom. Once again, it's all on the theme of "family", from royal dynasties and sporting siblings to fictional factions and family pets.
It's designed to challenge all ages, and it's multiple choice, so everyone can have a go.
There are no prizes for the winners, just a warm glow of satisfaction. With any luck, you may still be on speaking terms with your family afterwards.
The answers are published at the bottom of this article. No peeking until you've tackled all of the questions...
1. Which twins grew up at 178 Vallance Road, Bethnal Green, London?
A: Ronnie and Reggie Kray
B: Luke and Matt Goss
C: Carol and Mark Thatcher
2. Highclere Castle, Hampshire, known to many as the setting of Downton Abbey, is whose real-life family seat?
A: The Earl of Carnarvon
B: The Earl of Clarendon
C: The Earl of Cottenham
3. The family home of which member of Enid Blyton’s Famous Five was Kirrin Cottage, Dorset?
4. Whose childhood family home was on Providencia Street, Woodland Hills, Los Angeles?
A: Meghan Markle
B: Barack Obama
C: Kim Kardashian
5. The world’s most expensive residential home is believed to be Antilia, a 400,000 sq ft property belonging to billionaire Mukesh Ambani, in which city?
A: New York
Families on film
6. Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo… What was the stage name of the fifth Marx brother, who left the act before they made their first film?
7. In the Wes Anderson film The Royal Tenembaums, the three children are all prodigies. At which sport does Richie Tenembaum excel?
8. In the Star Wars films, who is Kylo Ren’s grandfather?
A: Obi-Wan Kenobi
B: Han Solo
C: Darth Vader
9. In The Incredibles, what is eldest child Violet’s superpower?
A: She can stretch her body like rubber
B: She can make herself invisible
C: She can fire lasers from her eyes
10. In Alfred Hitchcock’s film Psycho, what is the name of Norman Bates’s mother?
11. With rumours surrounding Kim Jong Un’s poor health, his younger sister Kim Yo Jong is believed to be next in line to rule North Korea. How old is she?
12. Mary Anne Trump, Donald Trump’s mother, was born where?
A: Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
B: Isle of Lewis, Scotland
C: Port Talbot, Wales
13. What did Sir Keir Starmer’s parents do for a living?
A: Vet and magistrate
B: Factory worker and nurse
C: Headteacher and marine biologist
14. Former US president Bill Clinton shares a middle name with his father. What is it?
15. Boris Johnson’s Muslim great-grandfather Ali Kemal, was a prominent what in Turkey?
16. Siblings Debbie, Joni, Kim and Kathy are/were better known as which musical sister act?
B: Sister Sledge
C: The Nolan Sisters
17. Singer Mabel won the 2020 Brit award for Best Female Solo Artist. Her mother won a Brit award 30 years earlier. Who is she?
A: Annie Lennox
B: Neneh Cherry
C: Lisa Stansfield
18. “I think he was only happy for three years of his life, and they were the three years before I was born,” said which musician of his band-member sibling?
A: Robin Gibb of Barry Gibb (The Bee Gees)
B: Liam Gallagher of Noel Gallagher (Oasis)
C: Dave Davies of Ray Davies (The Kinks)
19. Rumi and Sir are the twin children of which musical couple?
A: Beyonce and Jay-Z
B: Johnny Cash and June Carter
C: Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love
20. How many actual brothers were there in the original 1970 line-up of The Doobie Brothers?
C: Two sets of two
21. Which political leader has pet dogs named Buffy, Yume, Verni and Pasha?
A: Vladimir Putin
B: Angela Merkel
C: Justin Trudeau
22. In The Addams Family, Pugsley’s pet, Aristotle, is a what?
23. Who are Meredith Grey and Olivia Benson?
A: Two of Miley Cyrus’s pet cats
B: Two of Katy Perry’s pet cats
C: Two of Taylor Swift’s pet cats
24. Andy, Marbles, Olaf, Belle and Spike are the siblings of which cartoon dog?
25. What noteworthy act did Elton John’s cocker spaniel Arthur perform in 2005?
A: He dialled 911 after Elton fell down the stairs
B: He was “best man” at Elton’s wedding
C: He is credited as co-writer of Elton’s song “Friends Never Say Goodbye”
26. The Anoa’i family, originating from American Samoa, comprises over a dozen professional sportsmen whose nicknames include the Headshrinkers, 3-Minute Warning and the Samoan SWAT Team. Which sport did they all compete in?
A: Rugby union
C: Australian rules football
27. What did Arnor and Eidur Gudjohnsen become the first footballers to do in an international match when Iceland played Estonia in April 1996?
A: First twins to play as part of the same team
B: First brothers to be sent off for fighting (each other)
C: First father and son to play as part of the same team
28. Venus and Serena Williams are the only siblings in the open era to play each other in four consecutive Grand Slam tennis finals, in 2002-2003. Who won them?
A: Venus won all four
B: Serena won all four
C: They won two each
29. Former Team GB Olympic hurdler Lawrence Clarke, once labelled “the poshest man in sport”, is the nephew of which British politician?
A: Jacob Rees-Mogg
B: Jeremy Corbyn
C: Michael Gove
30. In 2017, great-grandmother Julia “Hurricane” Hawkins from Louisiana broke the 100-metre sprint world record for women in her age group, with a time of 39.62 seconds. How old was she at the time?
31. Over the past 200 years, what are the most common boys’ and girls’ names for babies born into the British Royal family?
A: Henry and Elizabeth
B: Albert and Victoria
C: Charles and Mary
32. Who was the last member of the Royal family to hold the title Empress of India?
A: Queen Elizabeth II
B: Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother
C: Queen Victoria
33. Queen Elizabeth II is Britain’s longest-reigning monarch. But at 72 years and 110 days, which monarch of a sovereign state had the longest reign of all?
A: Emperor Hirohito, Japan
B: Wilhelmina, Queen of the Netherlands
C: Louis XIV, France
34. The current monarch of which country is estimated to have the largest royal net worth?
A: King of Thailand
B: King of Saudi Arabia
C: Prince of Liechtenstein
35. In the line of succession to the British throne, where is Princess Charlotte of Cambridge?
A: Fourth in line
B: Fifth in line
C: Sixth in line
36. In Fyodor Dostoevsky’s novel, how many Karamazov brothers are there?
37. In Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women, what do the March girls call their mother?
38. In Lionel Shriver’s We Need to Talk about Kevin, how old is Kevin when he goes on a killing spree?
39. In Gerald Durrell’s My Family and Other Animals, what is the name of Gerry’s eldest sibling?
40. Anne, Charlotte and Emily Bronte had a brother. What was his name?
41. Which of these is not a collective noun for a group of pigs?
42. A polliwog is an infant what?
43. Which of these animals does not have a pouch for carrying and protecting its young?
44. In 2005, Snuppy the Afghan hound became the world’s first...?
A: Cloned dog
B: Dog to undergo a successful head transplant
C: Dog to be elected member of parliament in South Korea
45. The largest recorded litter of domestic cats were born in Oxfordshire in 1970. How many kittens?
46. Who lives at Villa Villekulla with her horse and monkey?
A: Violet Beauregarde
B: Lyra Bellacqua
C: Pippi Longstocking
47. What was the maiden name of Harry Potter’s mother, Lily?
48. In the CBeebies series In the Night Garden, the Pontipines live in a semi-detached house at the bottom of a tree. Which family lives next door?
A: The Tombliboos
B: The Wottingers
C: The Tittifers
49. In Peppa Pig, what is Daddy Pig’s job?
B: Toothbrush salesman
C: Structural engineer
50. What happens to Elsa and Anna’s parents in Disney’s Frozen?
A: They die in a shipwreck
B: They die in a snowstorm
C: They die in a ballooning accident
1. A, The Krays
2. A, The Earl of Carnarvon
3. C, George
4. A, Meghan Markle
5. C, Mumbai
Families on film
6. A, Gummo
7. A, Tennis
8. C, Darth Vader
9. B, She can make herself invisible
10. C, Norma
11. C, 32
12. B, Isle of Lewis
13. B, Factory worker and nurse
14. C, Jefferson
15. A, Journalist
16. B, Sister Sledge
17. B, Neneh Cherry
18. C, Dave Davies
19. A, Beyonce and Jay-Z
20. B, None
21. A, Putin
22. A, Octopus
23. C, Taylor Swift
24. C, Snoopy
25. B, Best man
26. B, Wrestling
27. C, Father and son
28. B, Serena won four
29. A, Jacob Rees-Mogg
30. C, 101
31. B, Albert and Victoria
32. B, The Queen Mother
33. C, Louis XIV
34. A, King of Thailand
35. A Fourth in line
36. B, 4
37. A, Marmee
38. B, 15
39. C, Larry
40. B, Branwell
41. C, Dray
42. A, Frog
43. C, Pangolin
44. A, Clone
45. B, 19
46. C, Pippi Longstocking
47. A, Evans
48. B, Wottingers
49. C, Structural engineer
50. A, Shipwreck