A billionaire NFL owner. Women held in 'sexual servitude.'
Weed killer in your wine and beer? Apparently five wines and 15 beers were found with traces of the controversial weed killer glyphosate, tests revealed. I’ll believe it when they pry this beer out of my cold, dead hands.
Robert Kraft visited Florida spa the day of AFC Championship
Billionaire Patriots owner Robert Kraft visited a Jupiter, Florida, spa tied to an international human trafficking ring for sexual services the morning his team played in the AFC Championship Game. Kraft was recorded visiting the spa on the evening of Jan. 19 and the morning of Jan. 20, police said, the same day the Patriots won in Kansas City. The Jupiter spa was one of 10 across Florida shut down this month after being tied to an international human trafficking ring. Kraft, 77, faces two counts of soliciting prostitution. He faces jail time if convicted of both.
Will the real Kim Jong Un please stand up?
Forget the impersonators: This is the real deal. Wheels are up in Air Force One as Trump heads to Vietnam to meet North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong Un. This is the second face-to-face meeting between the world leaders, and while Trump has maintained punishing economic sanctions on North Korea, he's touted his "very good relationship" with Kim despite insults in the past. They say sequels never live up to the original, but Trump promises to go above and beyond their first meeting last year to clarify denuclearization terms and nail down the details of their sweeping agreements from that meeting.
R. Kelly freed from jail after posting $100,000 bail
R&B star R.Kelly, in (really) deep over 10 felony counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, pleaded not guilty to the charges on Monday. The singer was freed from jail in Chicago after posting $100,000 bail, 10 percent of the $1 million bond set Saturday. Kelly donned an orange jumpsuit during his arraignment on four separate indictments that describe the case of four women – three of whom were underage at the time of the alleged sexual abuse. Kelly, 52, who was acquitted of child pornography charges in 2008, has denied wrongdoing. The singer’s next court date is March 22.
- 'Bomb cyclone' strikes: Ferocious winds roaring across the eastern U.S. left 550,000 homes and businesses without power.
- Baby fever: Thought you might enjoy some new pictures of Prince Harry, Duchess Meghan and her adorable baby bump (I did).
- "They were eating her": A South Carolina woman was fatally mauled by two of her own dogs despite neighbors' best efforts to fend off the attack.
- Appointed for life, not eternity: The Supreme Court vacated a federal appeals court ruling on gender-neutral pay. Why? The judge who wrote it had died.
New flu strain, new flu pain
This year's flu season hasn't been as brutal as years past, but you still aren't in the clear: A more severe “variant” virus now makes up nearly half of all new cases, and flu season could linger until May. That could mean more sickness: Even though more people were vaccinated this year compared to last, the current immunization protects better against the main strain, H1N1, and not as well against H3N2 viruses. Up to 22,300 adults have died of the flu this year and hundreds of thousands have been hospitalized. More than 40 children have died. The kicker: It's impossible to know whether you have the flu based on symptoms alone. If you think you have the flu, the CDC recommends visiting a doctor.
Rami Malek bit the dust (actually)
There was an awards ceremony last night called the Oscars. Heard of it? There were a ton of major moments during the show, from Queen’s rockin’ opening and a steamy performance from Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper to big wins for "Green Book" and "Bohemian Rhapsody." But not everything juicy that happened was caught by cameras. Here’s what you didn’t see on TV:
- Rami Malek fell on the stairs leading up to the Oscars stage (after the show finished).
- Charlize Theron took a seat on Trevor Noah's lap. Yes, you read that right.
- Hollywood stars eat doughnuts, just like us! While the stars waited for their limos at the end of the night, they were treated to coffee and doughnuts.
- The crowd really loved Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper (but who didn’t?)
- Emma Stone packed on the PDA with her boyfriend, Dave McCary.
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: A billionaire NFL owner. Women held in 'sexual servitude.'