Bodies of six missing Indian seamen found after Yemen strike

Smoke billows following an air-strike by the Saudi-led coalition on an army arms depot, now under Shiite Huthi rebel control, east of the Yemeni capital Sanaa on May 22, 2015 (AFP Photo/Mohammed Huwais)

New Delhi (AFP) - The bodies of six Indian seamen missing since their boat was apparently hit by Saudi-led coalition airstrikes in Yemen have been found and a seventh is still missing, New Delhi said Friday.

India's foreign ministry said Wednesday that boats carrying 21 Indian nationals had been hit as they travelled across the Red Sea to the Yemeni port of Mokha on Tuesday.

"It is regrettably informed that late at night on 10 September, the bodies of 6 of the missing persons present on the boats were recovered," said Vikas Swarup, the ministry spokesman, in a statement Friday.

Another 14 crewmen were rescued and four are undergoing treatment at a hospital in Yemen, he said.

A Saudi-led military coalition of mainly Gulf Arab countries has increased its air strikes against Shiite Huthi rebels in Yemen since a deadly missile attack on coalition soldiers on Friday.

The coalition launched its strikes in March against the Iran-backed rebels when President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi fled to neighbouring Saudi Arabia after they entered his last refuge, Yemen's second city Aden.

India closed it embassy in Yemen one month later and evacuated more than 4,500 nationals.