In pictures: Bordeaux town hall set alight as protests in France erupt into violence
Dramatic pictures show violence erupting in parts of France during nationwide protests against pension reforms being pushed through by President Emmanuel Macron.
Violence erupted in the French city of Bordeaux on Thursday as police clashed with crowds protesting against President Emmanuel Macron’s retirement age reforms.
Bordeaux town hall was set ablaze as part of protests that saw more than a million people take to the streets nationwide.
Video footage shared on social media shows flames engulfing the front doors of the building as people in the square below cheer.
The violence led to a planned state visit to France by King Charles III to be postponed.
Protesters are demonstrating against plans by President Macron to push through a bill raising the retirement age by two years to 64.
Thursday was the ninth day of nationwide protests, but violence erupted in some areas, including Bordeaux and Paris.
Read more: Lucy Letby: Nurse murdered baby by injecting 'dollops' of air, court told
In the capital, police fired tear gas in clashes with masked groups of protesters as violence spread to several fast-food restaurants, a supermarket and a bank.
In Bordeaux, dramatic pictures showed the town hall engulfed in flames after it was set on fire.
The government said 80 people were arrested across the country, with dozens of police officers injured.
In Paris, officers were reportedly pelted by fireworks and other objects, with one having to be dragged to safety whilst unconscious.
The violence saw a state visit by King Charles III and the Queen Consort to France, set to include Bordeaux, postponed.
French authorities had sought to issue reassurance over the safety of the visit, with Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin reportedly saying on Thursday night that security "poses no problem" and the King will be "welcomed and welcomed well".
But on Friday it was announced that the visit has been postponed.
The French and British governments took the decision following a phone call between President Emmanuel Macron and the King, according to the French presidency.
Buckingham Palace said in a statement: "The King and the Queen Consort's state visit to France has been postponed.
"Their majesties greatly look forward to the opportunity to visit France as soon as dates can be found."
The couple's visit to Germany next week will proceed as planned.
French labour union CGT union announced earlier this week that its members working at the institution that provides flags, red carpets and furniture for public buildings would not help prepare a reception for the king, who is due to arrive in Paris on Sunday.