Boxing - Mayweather, McGregor agree to August superfight

- Boxing legend Floyd Mayweather and mixed martial arts champion Conor McGregor announced Wednesday they would fight on August 26 in Las Vegas. The 40-year-old Mayweather announced the fight on his Instagram account and McGregor sent out a tweet stating "THE FIGHT IS ON." MMA promoter Dana White said the bout would be a superwelterweight boxing match (154lb or 70kg weight limit) with 10 ounce gloves. "We have been in negotiations for a while," White told American sports broadcaster ESPN. "The negotiations went smooth. Floyd Mayweather surrounds himself with smart people and we got the deal done." McGregor is the top pay-per-view draw in UFC while Mayweather had been in some of boxing's biggest bouts, including the record-breaking $500 million superfight against Manny Pacquiao in 2015 from which Mayweather earned $250 million.

 

AFP