Boy, 5, Rescued by His Grandfather After Being Bitten, Constricted and Dragged into Pool by Python

A 5-year-old Australian boy is in good condition after being bitten, constricted and dragged into a swimming pool by a 10-foot-long python.

"Once we cleaned up the blood and told him that he wasn't going to die because it wasn't a poisonous snake... he was pretty good actually," Beau Blake's father, Ben, told Melbourne radio station 3AW on Friday.

The incident happened on Thursday at a residence in New South Wales, about eight hours north of Sydney, where the family was enjoying a day poolside.

"It was instant, I saw a big black shadow come out of the bush and before they hit the bottom, it was completely wrapped around his leg," Ben recalled to the station.

RELATED: Finally! Amazon's Massive Black Friday Sale Is Here — These Are the 150 Best Deals

Beau's grandfather, Allan, 76, was able to pull the boy — still ensnared with the snake — from the pool and hand him off to his dad.

"He's an absolute trouper," Ben said about his son, who was shaken up by the event. He told the station that they were continuing to monitor the bite on the boy's ankle for signs of infection.

RELATED: Swedish Zoo Searching for Missing Cobra 'Sir Hiss' After Snake Escapes Through Light Fixture

u3IESjcfMN0 5-year-old boy survives terrifying encounter with snake near Byron Bay | 7NEWS
u3IESjcfMN0 5-year-old boy survives terrifying encounter with snake near Byron Bay | 7NEWS

7NEWS Australia

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

While it is currently breeding season in Australia, a snake catcher told 7News that he was surprised by the story.

RELATED: United Airlines Passengers 'Started Shrieking' After a Garden Snake Was Found in the Plane Cabin

"It's a freaky incident, I've not heard one like this before," snake catcher Kane Anderson said, and added that people should "always treat a snake" like it is venomous.