Brevard County maintains rate hikes for out-of-town campers despite complaints

Support local journalism. Unlock unlimited digital access to floridatoday.com Click here and subscribe today.

Disaffected out-of-town campers and Brevard County officials found themselves at an impasse this week over fee hikes that will possibly ice out snowbirds hoping to escape the cold at Space Coast campgrounds.

The county passed the fee increases in November last year as well as restrictions on when and for how long camp sites can be reserved. The changes have put out-of-towners who see Brevard County as a second home in a bind and looking for relief from the Brevard County Commission. Many of those snowbirds showed up to the commission meeting on Tuesday to express their dismay with the new changes but to no avail. They pointed out they often volunteer in the community, spend money in the local economy and help maintain the areas where they camp as evidence that they should not be priced out of the vacation spot many see as a second home.

Snowbirds and out-of-county visitors who frequent Manatee Hammock in Titusville and other campgrounds in Brevard County are having their site fees nearly doubled.
Snowbirds and out-of-county visitors who frequent Manatee Hammock in Titusville and other campgrounds in Brevard County are having their site fees nearly doubled.

More local news:Brevard County nixes tax breaks for semiconductor company in Palm Bay

Education:Brevard School Board hopes audit will clarify school discipline debate

Kris Gustke of Michigan was one of the many who went to implore the Brevard County Commission meeting Tuesday to reconsider the changes that might push her and others out of the area. She lamented the loss of community that could occur if campers like herself who have been visiting Brevard County parks for years are forced to disperse and find accommodations elsewhere during future winters.

"The discount for stays 30 days or longer was also eliminated. The price increase is more substantial due to this elimination. We have previously paid $18.75 (per day) and our new rate would be between $43 and $45 a day. We told you how much we treasure our winter home and what we add to the community and economy of Brevard County," Gustke said.

She and others pleaded with the commissioners to reconsider the new policies. It was at least the second meeting many had attended to voice their concerns.

Commission chair Rita Pritchett praised the affected campers who spoke out at Tuesday's meeting for the politeness with which they stated their case but made it clear that the county would not be budging from its position. "I'm so glad that you're able to come here to enjoy the community," Pritchett said. She added that she was generally opposed to government offering long-term camping, saying that it amounted to the county offering residential real estate to snowbirds and competing with the private sector campgrounds. "As far as the costs, we had to raise the costs because it's costing us more money and we can't put that on the backs of the homeowners," Pritchett said. "Right now, I'm fairly comfortable with the adjustments." County spokesman Don Walker has said the new policies "were designed to ensure that Brevard County citizens − who pay taxes to maintain these parks, recreation areas and campgrounds − were given access and opportunity to enjoy the County’s campgrounds."

The new policies include:

  • Reducing stays from 168 days to 90 days;

  • Allowing Brevard County residents to reserve campsite space 13 months in advance while non-residents can only book 12 months in advance;

  • Higher rate increases for non-residents than for residents.

Certain campsites that offer water views or sewage hookups also saw further increased fees for those amenities, something that resulted in some campers at places such as Manatee Hammock in Titusville, Wickham Park in Melbourne and Long Point in Melbourne Beach see their fees close to double since November.

"We will continue to work to maintain those sites at the highest level and to do so in a fair manner that benefits both out-of-state visitors and residents of Brevard County alike," Walker said in an emailed statement.

Tyler Vazquez is the North Brevard Watchdog Reporter at FLORIDA TODAY. Contact Vazquez at 321-917-7491 or tvazquez@floridatoday.com. Twitter: @tyler_vazquez

This article originally appeared on Florida Today: Brevard County maintains rate hikes for snowbird campers