This $30 Coffee Maker Brews Some of the Best Coffee You Can Make at Home
There are tons of trendy ways to brew coffee at home, from espresso makers to cold brew makers to single-serve brewers and French presses, but coffee drinkers know that an automatic drip coffee maker is a classic type of coffee maker for a reason: It can brew strong, full-flavored coffee in great quantities. But not all coffee makers are created equally. That's why we put over 30 drip coffee makers to the test in the Good Housekeeping Institute's Kitchen Appliances Lab and brewed over 400 cups of coffee: To find the best models out there.
How we test coffee makers
We test coffee makers for the water temperature during the brew cycle and the brewing time as well as the temperature of the coffee at the end of brewing and during the keep warm cycle. In addition, we evaluate each brewer’s ease of use, including how easy it is to read and use the controls, access the water tank and brew basket, read the markings on the tank and carafe, whether or not it has automatic keep warm and shut off cycles, and the ease of cleaning the carafe. Of the many models we've tested, these are the best drip coffee machines to buy in 2020:
- Best Overall Coffee Maker: Braun BrewSense Drip Coffee Maker
- Best Value Coffee Maker: Black + Decker Coffee Maker
- Best Coffee Maker with Grinder: Cuisinart Burr Grind & Brew Automatic Coffeemaker
- Most Versatile Coffee Maker: Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System Auto-iQ Tea and Coffee Maker
- Fastest Coffee Maker: Technivorm Moccamaster KBG Coffee Brewer
- Easiest-to-Use Coffee Maker: Bonavita Connoisseur 8-Cup One-Touch Coffee Maker
- Most Customizable Coffee Maker: Breville Precision Brewer
- Best Single-Serve Coffee Maker: Keurig K-Elite Coffee Maker
- Best Foolproof Coffee Maker: Mr. Coffee Easy Measure Programmable Coffee Maker
When shopping for a drip coffee maker, there are many styles to consider, including those with a glass carafe, thermal carafe, and even a built-in grinder. Each come with a set of unique pros and cons to consider before buying.
Trust us — we brewed 400(!) cups to find the best coffee makers.