- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
CBS 2's Suzanne Le Mignot reports the man was returning from a trip to the grocery store when he was hit by a stray bullet.
- --vulnerable can get basic supplies to survive.
IRIKA SARGENT: Developing now, he lived in Bridgeport his entire life. Last night, he was murdered there. A 68-year-old man shot and killed while driving his car. CBS 2's Suzanne Le Mignot is live with what happened in the minutes leading up to his killing. Suzanne?
SUZANNE LE MIGNOT: Irika, Alva Besst was just on his way to the grocery store. Police here tell us he was not the intended target in this shooting.
- We got a bona-fide person shot at 31st and Halsted.
SUZANNE LE MIGNOT: You're listening to police communication the night 68-year-old Alva Besst was killed.
- He crashed his car, he was struck.
SUZANNE LE MIGNOT: Besst was hit in the head by a stray bullet while driving his gold Lincoln Town Car eastbound here on 31st Street near Halsted. A person with knowledge of the investigation says individuals in two different cars were shooting at each other. Besst was caught in the crossfire. Bullets went through his back windshield. After he was shot, the lifelong Bridgeport resident hit a snow bank. About three minutes after the shooting went over the air, an officer assigned to work at a nearby movie location less than a mile away from the shooting scene said this.
- We're over here on that movie detail. Is, uh, i that victim an older male white gentleman?
- He's a 60-year-old.
- That individual has literally just left from over here. We talked to him. He was on his way to the grocery store, he said. From here. I'm assuming it's the same individual. We're going to be on the scene for another couple hours, at least, over here, if detectives or the paper car needs any info from us.
SUZANNE LE MIGNOT: Besst was taken to a hospital in critical condition. He later died.
While they are following up on leads, police here say no one is in custody. At Chicago Police headquarters Suzanne Le Mignot, CBS 2 News.