Brooklyn charter high school principal told staff to check with him before talking to NYPD about nearby shooting

The principal of a Brooklyn charter high school ordered his faculty and staff not to talk to police without his approval following a shooting outside the school that left a teen girl wounded, school notices obtained by the Daily News show.

Williamsburg Charter High School Principal Jahi Bashir also claimed in a letter to parents that a car rolling over debris in the street caused a boom that had students running for cover — even though cops confirmed the shooting and made an arrest.

Bashir’s handling of the incident has caused controversy at the school.

“Since the incident took place, many parents have called the school. Different versions has been provided, including ‘a brick hit a car,’” one insider said. “Many parents (are) requesting their kids to go remote and (there’s) a huge request transfer out list.”

Said parent Christine Uzo, “I need to know exactly what happened. We need to know exactly what’s going on for the safety of our kids.”

Bashir sent the missives after panicked students rushed inside the school on on Varet St. near White St. for safety in the aftermath of the shooting, which took place about 3 p.m. Dec. 8.

At 4:38 p.m. the same day, Bashir sent an email to faculty and staff warning them not to cooperate with the police. “Please be reminded to not provide the police with any information without my consent or the consent of my appointed designee,” he wrote. “Should a police officer have questions, be sure to reach out to me or my designee first before responding.”

Later that day, Bashir sent the letter to parents in which he failed to mention there had been a shooting. Instead, he wrote, “At approximately 3 p.m., a loud sound was heard on the street in the vicinity of the school. The NYPD informed us that the sound was a car that had run over debris resulting in a loud popping sound.”

“All safety procedures were followed and appropriate steps were taken to immediately notify law enforcement … Your child’s safety is our top priority.”

Parent Gladys Muscozo said her son was outside when the gunshot rang out. “They were standing outside, and everybody heard a loud noise, and everybody started running and then everybody ran inside,” she said.

“Maybe they wrote it without knowing what happened? That’s what I feel. ... I know schools always try to protect themselves.”

The NYPD confirmed to The News on Tuesday that a 16-year-old girl was shot in the leg about a block from school on White and Moore streets at 3:03 p.m.

She was “shot on a crowded sidewalk at school dismissal,” the complaint says.

Four days later, on Monday, cops arrested a 15-year-old boy. The youth, whose name is not being released because of his age, was awaiting arraignment Tuesday on attempted assault and weapons charges, officials said.

Law enforcement sources said the shooting was gang-related and the wounded 16-year-old girl was not the intended target. The actual target, the sources said, is gang affiliated and attends the school.

Bashir and other school officials did not respond to calls and emails. “Unfortunately, the principal is not available at this time, because we are preparing for a parent conference,” a school employer told a Daily News reporter Tuesday evening.

School security came out three times to shoo away the reporter from standing on the public sidewalk.

“We need you to stay away from the school,” one of the security officers said.

Meanwhile, an NYPD patrol car was stationed outside the school

“That’s why we’re here. Because there was a shooting. As a presence in front of the school,” a police officer said.

With John Annese