Brooklyn runner who collapsed during Providence Half-Marathon later died, reports show

PROVIDENCE — A 27-year-old Brooklyn runner who collapsed during the Providence Half-Marathon on May 7 and died the next day suffered a medical emergency, according to a Rhode Island Department of Health "death worksheet" on his passing.

Oritsebemigho "Begho" Olubukola Ukueberuwa died early the next day of cardiac arrest brought on by hyperkalemia (high potassium level) and rhabdomyolysis (a breakdown of muscle tissue), the worksheet says.

Ukueberuwa was competing in The Providence Marathon and Half Marathon, presented by The Providence Journal and Ventures Endurance, a division of Gannett.

It was his first-ever half marathon, according to his brother, Mene Ukueberuwa.

Begho Ukueberuwa was the youngest of six children of Nigerian immigrants.

Mene Ukueberuwa said that his brother chose the Providence event to run because its location was convenient to a somewhat dispersed group of friends who decided to compete in the same race.

Mene Ukueberuwa said that no family members were in Providence on race day, but several quickly arrived when they learned Begho Ukueberuwa had been taken to the hospital.

Although he had at first been unconscious, first responders revived him, but he was then sedated for treatment. He was not conscious when family arrived and did not get to speak with them before he died, his brother said.

Mene Ukueberuwa said that his brother had a body temperature of 105 degrees at one point.

"Our sincerest condolences to his family and loved ones," Gannett said in a statement.

Begho Ukueberuwa was director of development at Fat City production company. He grew up in West Windsor, New Jersey, graduating from West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South before attending New York University.

He is survived by his parents Francis and Jumoke; sisters Toju, Tetse, Dede and Misan; and brother Mene.

This article originally appeared on The Providence Journal: Providence Marathon runner who died was from Brooklyn, worked at Fat City