Wake County voters will decide this fall on the nine members of the school board who set the policies for North Carolina’s largest school district.
The two-week filing period opened on July 1. It ends 12 p.m. on July 15.
The Nov. 8 election will take place at one of the most contentious periods in school board history. Questions about learning loss, what’s taught in the classroom and what books should be in school libraries are expected to be among the major campaign topics.
Five school board incumbents are not planning to run for reelection.
Candidates in Districts 1, 2, 7 and 9 will run for four-year terms. Candidates in Districts 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 will run for two-year terms before those seats switch to four-year terms on the 2024 ballot.
You can only vote for the school board seat in the district where you reside. Go to vt.ncsbe.gov/RegLkup to look up your school board district.
Here are the candidates who have filed to run for school board so far:
School board member Heather Scott, who has served in the District 1 seat since 2018, is not running for another term.
▪ Cheryl Caulfield, cheryl4wakeschools.com
▪ Ben Clapsaddle, benforwakeschools.com
▪ Monica Ruiz, monicaruiz4wake.com
School board member Roxie Cash, who has served in the District 3 seat since 2016, is not seeking another term.
▪ Doug Hammack
▪ Wing Ng, wingforwakeschools.com
▪ Daniel L. Grant-King
▪ Becky Lew-Hobbs, becky4wake.com
School board member Jim Martin, who has served in the District 5 seat since 2011, is not seeking another term.
▪ Jackie Boegel, www.jackieboegelforwakeboe.com
▪ Lynn Edmonds, lynnforwake.com
School board member Christine Kushner, who has served in the District 6 seat since 2011, is not seeking another term.
▪ Sam Hersey, www.samforwake.com
▪ Chad Stall, chadstall.com
▪ Jacob Arthur, jacobarthurwakeschools.com
No candidates have filed yet.
School board member Karen Carter, who has served in the District 9 seat since 2020, says she doesn’t expect to seek another term.
▪ Michele Morrow, www.michele4wakeschools.com
▪ Tyler Swanson, www.swansonforwake.com