Carlsbad High School ramps up security after false shooting threat circulates online

·1 min read
Carlsbad High School ramped up security on Dec. 3, 2021 after a false shooting threat circulated online.
Carlsbad High School ramped up security on Dec. 3, 2021 after a false shooting threat circulated online.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Carlsbad High School had an increased law enforcement presence after a social media post of shooting threat from 2018 recirculated online on Dec. 3.

Parents received a notice from the school early Friday morning informing them that there would be additional law enforcement on campus as a precautionary measure.

Carlsbad High School (CHS) continued regular school activities and classes with no interruption.

Corporal Andrew Matta told the Current-Argus that the original post was made by a Clovis, New Mexico student who was arrested in 2018 following the incident.

Carlsbad High School ramped up security on Dec. 3, 2021 after a false shooting threat circulated online.
Carlsbad High School ramped up security on Dec. 3, 2021 after a false shooting threat circulated online.

He said the original post showed the student holding a gun and making threats towards "CHS." At that time, schools with the initials CHS were informed of the post and took additional security precautions.

CHS Principal Jesse Fuentes said he was made aware of the recirculation of the post after he got a message from school administration in Carlsbad, California the evening of Thursday, Dec. 2.

Fuentes said that law enforcement has investigated the situation and confirmed there is no active threat at CHS.

This false alarm came as parents and schools are on high alert after the school shooting of Oxford High School in Michigan, Fuentes said. He said it is a blessing for the school to have school resource officers have a strong connection with local law enforcement.

"It's important that we can call them and tell them 'hey, we need your assistance,' even though this might not be a true threat," Fuentes said.

A previous update incorrectly noted that the facility had been placed on lockdown.

This article originally appeared on Carlsbad Current-Argus: Carlsbad High School ramps up security after false shooting threat

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting