Cat and dog rescued from Overland Park house fire likely caused by careless smoking

Overland Park Fire Department
·1 min read

Firefighters rescued a cat and dog from a burning Overland Park home that investigators believed was started by careless smoking early Friday, a fire department spokesman said.

Smoke alarms alerted the family living in the two-story house shortly before 12:30 a.m. They escaped from the burning home safely and called 911, said Jason Rhodes, a spokesman for the Overland Park Fire Department.

Firefighters from the Overland Park and Leawood fire departments responded to the fire in the 5300 block of W. 158th Place. The first crews on the scene reported heavy smoke and fire coming from the backside of the home.

Firefighters began a defensive attack to knock down the flames on the exterior of the home. Crews then entered the home and attacked the fire inside. During a search to confirm everyone had made it out safely, firefighters found a cat and a dog and rescued them from the fire, Rhodes said.

One firefighter was treated at the scene for heat related stress. No other injuries were reported.

It took firefighters a little over an hour to bring the fire under control. Crews remained at the scene checking for hot spots to make sure they didn’t reignite.

Fire investigators believe smoking materials that were discarded carelessly might be the blame for the fire. The fire caused significant damage to the first and second floors, as well as the attic of the house. There was significant smoke damage throughout the entire home, Rhodes said.

The Overland Park Fire Department reminded smokers to completely extinguish their smoking materials in sand or water before discarding. For more information on fire safety, see the fire safety and prevention page on the city’s website: www.opkansas.org.