Central State University lockdown lifted; Suspect charged

·2 min read

Central State University’s lockdown is now lifted following a police investigation Saturday morning.

Central State University received a 911 call from dispatch with reports of what was believed to be an active shooter, according to a statement from the university.

The University Police Department responded immediately and activated the campus-wide Emergency Alerts System, the university said. Several nearby law enforcement agencies responded to assist.

According to the university, the campus is clear at this time and has been deemed safe.

Upon further investigation, it was determined that there was no threat of an active shooter.

“When we hear things like this, we act immediately to make sure our campus community is safe. The University has emergency plans - the individuals involved in those plans acted immediately and followed all of our safety protocols.” said CSU President Jack Thomas.

According to Central State University Police Chief Stephanie Hill a person of interest has been taken into custody, the university said in the statement.

News Center 7′s Gabrielle Enright was at the scene talking with several parents who were headed to Central State University for their childrens’ freshmen orientation, but when they got there several police cruisers were at the campus.

>> Photos: Central State University lockdown lifted; Person of interest taken into custody

“So the first thing I told James to do is look at his CSU email because they’re going to tell the students what’s going on so they can be aware, and it had said that there’s been reports of an active shooter,” said one parent, Lakesha Baker.

After the lockdown was lifted, a student told News Center 7 said that things like this usually don’t happen at CSU.

“I’ve been here for 3 years and I’ve never heard or seen anything like it,” Junior Henry Gray said.

He wasn’t on campus when it happened but Gray said he appreciates the response from law enforcement.

“It’s definitely good that we had a lot of officers and a lot of people around to make sure that everyone was okay,” he said.

On Monday, the university identified 24-year-old Kual Bak as the person of interest. He was taken into custody Saturday and charged with making false alarms. He’s currently booked in the Greene County Jail.

The incident is still under investigation at this time.

We will continue updating this story as we learn more.