A champion swimmer from New Jersey is being heralded for rescuing a boy, but she's a hero every day to her mom who is battling multiple sclerosis.
- Until then, how about this? An amazing rescue in New Jersey. A woman dove into frigid water to rescue a young boy and two men from a sinking boat. It happened on Easter Sunday at Fayson Lakes in Kinnelon, New Jersey. Reporter Toni Yates spoke with the hero, and she has her incredible story. Toni?
TONI YATES: Hi, Joe. You know, we came out here to tell you more about a beautiful, life saving, selfless act. But when we got here, we found that there was so much more to 22-year-old Jennifer Watson that makes her extraordinary.
It was Easter Sunday, and Jennifer Watson's dogs Peanut and Georgia were outside and would not stop barking.
JENNIFER WATSON: Then I saw, like, a boat in the middle, like right here. And it was, like, 3/4 of the way underwater.
- Two men and a child were in a panic on the lake. Their boat, sinking.
- The dad was screaming, and he was like, help me. Help me, like I have my three-year-old son.
- They had quite the hero rescuer. Jennifer has been a champion swimmer since the age of five.
- I swam out to them, and I, like, grabbed the three-year-old boy and swam back to shore.
- Her neighbors on the lake are not surprised at all that Jen hesitated not one instant to jump in.
COLLEEN LAZARUS: Not at all. Not at all. Jen is a very selfless person. I mean, she's been helping her mom since she was a teenager.
- We found there is so much more to Jennifer's heart. Jennifer was born the year after her mother Lynne's diagnosis of MS. Lynne took her last step November 1, 2011, and Jennifer stepped in.
LYNNE WATSON: Jennifer is the most wonderful, generous, compassionate, kind.
- Selfless, indeed, in helping strangers in need and her love for her mother, balancing home and her future.
- Since she was about 14 or so, she's been, like, the primary caregiver for her mom. Jen, you know, had an opportunity to go away to school, but she chose to stay home and help her mom.
- And their neighbors are hoping that this GoFundMe page will make sure that the Watson's will not have to struggle, like hiring home health care. So that Jennifer can have more time for her classes.
- And she's just so awesome.
- Jennifer has found a way to take classes for nursing, because, of course, she wants to be a nurse. We're also told that the three-year-old kid and the men who were on the capsized boat, they are all going to be OK thanks to Jennifer. And again, that GoFundMe page for this family is Jennifer Watson, and the Watson family.