Charlotte Mecklenburg Library officials provided more details Tuesday about how visitors can still take part in library services despite the Main Library branch imminent closing for a new uptown development.
The library is closing so work can proceed on a new “destination” main library as well as a renovated Spirit Square and its historic McGlohon Theater and the Duke Energy Theater.
The $154.5 million project is scheduled to finish in late 2025, Mecklenburg County spokeswoman Pam Escobar told The Charlotte Observer in an email last week — more than a year later than expected.
When will the main branch close?
Main Library at 310 N. Tryon St. will close to the public at 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 29.
Will the services I’m used to be disrupted?
No, according to library officials.
Officials hope Main Library users will visit another branch in the uptown area “for browsing, borrowing, classes/workshops, family story times and the many other ways you engage with your library.”
Where are the nearest branches to uptown?
▪ Allegra Westbrooks Regional Library, 2412 Beatties Ford Road, 704-416-3000.
▪ Myers Park Library, 1361 Queens Road, 704-416-5800.
▪ Plaza Midwood Library, 1623 Central Ave., 704-416-6200.
▪ South Boulevard Library, 4429 South Blvd., 704-416-6400.
▪ Sugar Creek Library, 4045 N. Tryon St., Suite A, 704-416-7000.
▪ West Boulevard Library, 2157 West Blvd., 704-416-7400.
Will interim uptown library locations open?
Yes. Customers also can visit these soon-to-open interim uptown locations:
▪ CMLibrary @ Founders Hall, 100 North Tryon St., Suite 290.
▪ CMLibrary @ College Street, 406 N. College St. in the Education Building at First United Presbyterian Church.
Dates when the interim libraries will open are still to be announced.
Can I still get a library book online?
Yes. Although Main Library will be closed during construction, books and materials will be available 24/7 at cmlibrary.org.
Can I return books to Main Library after it closes?
No. Customers can drop off items at any of the other 19 library locations, including the nearby ImaginOn: The Joe & Joan Martin Center, 300 E. Seventh St.
What about library holds and pick-ups?
As of Oct. 15, Main Library was removed as an option for placing items on hold.
Items placed on hold for pick up at Main before Oct. 15 are available until 5 Friday, Oct. 29. and then at Plaza Midwood Library beginning Monday, Nov. 1.
If you want to pick up your holds at another library branch, call 704-416-0100.