Chocolate Chip Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Servings: Makes one 9-inch cake
12 tablespoons (170g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1¼ cups (270g) light brown sugar
½ cup (99g) granulated sugar
3 large (170g) eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1¾ cups (210g) all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ cup (115g) whole milk
12 ounces (340g) mini semisweet chocolate chips
8 ounces (226g) cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tablespoons (85g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 cups (340g) confectioners' sugar
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Chocolate chips, for finishing
1. Make the Cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick spray.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until well combined and scraping the bowl well after each addition. Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add half of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix to incorporate. Add the milk and mix to combine. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Pour the batter into the springform pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes inside the pan, then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
6. Make the frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese, butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
7. Place the cake on a serving platter. Pile the frosting on top and then smooth into an even layer. Finish with a sprinkling of chocolate chips.