Chris Pratt Finally Addressed The Backlash To His Casting In "The Super Mario Bros. Movie"

·1 min read

Chris Pratt addressed all the backlash he's been getting for his casting in The Super Mario Bros. Movie.

  Frazer Harrison / FilmMagic
Frazer Harrison / FilmMagic

It was announced in September of 2021 that he would play the titular video game character — garnering criticism for various reasons.

A close-up of Chris
Rodin Eckenroth / Getty Images

Some didn't like that Chris got the role over Charles Martinet, who voices Mario in the video games.

Charles Martinet
Isaiah Trickey / FilmMagic, Chelsea Guglielmino / Getty Images

There were also people who just aren't fans of Chris, with many feeling that he's already overexposed.

Then there's the fact that he won't be speaking in Mario's signature accent, which, just, like, no.

giphy.com / @dannynewtv

But Chris isn't fazed by the backlash. In fact, he says he "totally" understands the concern people have when it comes to someone new playing the beloved character.

  Rb / GC Images
Rb / GC Images

"There’s a passionate fan base and I’m one of the fans. I get it," Chris told Gizmodo.

  Axelle / FilmMagic
Axelle / FilmMagic

"Mostly, people don’t want something like this to get screwed up. They’re precious about it. They’re careful. And I’m grateful for that."

  Steve Granitz / WireImage
Steve Granitz / WireImage

Chris also said previously that even though there are changes to the character, he really does think he did Mario justice with his performance.

  Paul Archuleta / FilmMagic
Paul Archuleta / FilmMagic

“I worked really closely with the directors and trying out a few things and landed on something that I’m really proud of and can’t wait for people to see and hear,” he told Variety.

  Steve Granitz / WireImage
Steve Granitz / WireImage

The Super Mario Bros. Movie hits theaters April 5.