Months after sewage started backing up into a Charlotte woman’s home, help may finally be on the way from the city after Channel 9 reported on the issue.
Channel 9′s Allison Latos introduced you to Stephanie Walker last month. Walker has been out of her north Charlotte home since Feb. 15, when raw sewage started backing up through her pipes. Water crews found the problem lodged in the sewer line: a roll of sheetrock tape.
The city of Charlotte has a voluntary sewer backup program to help Charlotte Water customers without insurance coverage, but the cap on the program is $15,000, an amount established when the program started in 1992. A city vendor estimated it would cost nearly $40,000 to repair Walker’s home.
Walker’s attorney, Shane Perry, said, “It was an antiquated number based on decades ago; $15,000 is nothing.”
Walker says she’s frustrated, but she says her fight isn’t over.
“I want to be at home,” Walker said. “I’m tired of being here, there, and beyond. I am just disgusted, fed up.”
>>Stream Channel 9 wherever you are with our mobile apps.
Since our report, we’ve learned that city officials reached out to Walker and offered to cover $45,000. However, Perry says that won’t cover the full cost of replacing her furniture and other damages, and he pointed to a caveat with accepting the money.
“She’s in her late 70s. She’s homeless right now, and they’re saying you don’t get this money unless you waive your right to any further compensation,” Perry said.
Charlotte Mayor Pro-tem Julie Eiselt told Channel 9 that $15,000 isn’t sufficient to help homeowners cover repairs. She says the city council will vote on increasing coverage during a meeting on Aug. 22, and she doesn’t envision any opposition.
In the meantime, Walker has turned to the community with a Gofundme page, hoping donations will help her pay for repairs.
(WATCH BELOW: ‘It’s a nightmare’: Woman left searching for answers after raw sewage floods her home)