City: Fire caused by unattended cooking

·1 min read

Aug. 30—VALDOSTA — Fire crews quickly extinguished a home fire on Madison Avenue Monday.

At 4:54 p.m., the Valdosta Fire Department responded to a report of a residential fire at 941 Madison Ave., according to a statement from the city.

The first fire unit arrived within four minutes to find light smoke coming from a single-story home; a kitchen fire caused by unattended cooking was quickly extinguished, city officials said.

The Valdosta Police Department and South Georgia Medical Center assisted with on-scene operations.

Unattended cooking remains the leading cause of residential fires across the nation, according to the statement.

Terry Richards is senior reporter at The Valdosta Daily Times.