Collierville elections: Maureen Fraser, William Boone vie for Position 1 in 2018 rematch

Collierville has three contested alderman races on the Nov. 8 ballot, including Position One.

Incumbent Maureen Fraser and lifelong town resident William Boone are vying for the four-year position on the Collierville Board of Mayor and Aldermen.

Early voting for suburban elections starts Oct. 19 and ends Nov. 3. The general election is Nov. 8, and the deadline to register to vote is Oct. 11.

Here is a closer look at each candidate.

Collierville news:Collierville to offer town administrator job to Missouri city official. Here's what we know

Collierville restaurants:SOB restaurant is coming to Collierville. Here's what we know.

Maureen Fraser

Fraser, 59, moved to Collierville about 27 years ago and was first elected as an alderman in 2003. She was reelected in 2006, 2010, 2014 and 2018. Now she's hoping for a sixth term.

"I love our community and I love serving, it's just part of my life now," said Fraser, affiliate broker at John Green & Company Realtors. "I do feel, when the time is right, I will be ready to step down and let someone else take over. I still believe there's more that we can accomplish together."

Fraser's campaign focuses on public safety, education and communication with the public. During her tenure she has worked on creating the town's first ambulance service, adding fire stations and bulking the police department with equipment including drones and body-worn cameras.

"I don't know that we have any issues per se but there are things that we can continue to improve on," she said. "We're next to Memphis and unfortunately there's spillover crime and we just got to continue to work as a team because not one elected official can make a difference, you have to be able to work with others."

If Fraser gains another term, one of her main goals includes holding quarterly public town halls for residents to share comments and concerns with town officials. She also wants the board to regularly sit down with Collierville Schools school board and discuss how the town can better benefit the staff and students.

"I don't see myself going anywhere else, honestly," Fraser said. "(What makes me best suited for alderman) is the experience and the knowledge and the understanding of where we are, the budget, the issues... I'm committed to doing this."

Collierville jobs:'It's a problem': Collierville sees highest job turnover rates in decades, 61 open positions

Education news:Collierville Schools took LGBTQ+ books off shelves while Tennessee lawmakers considered ban

William Boone

Boone, 59, has lived in Collierville his whole life and now wants to be the voice of the people on the board. Boone, a former Collierville firefighter, first ran for alderman against Fraser in 2018, then again in 2020 against Missy Marshall. He lost both those bids for office, but he's hopeful this election will bring him a win.

"I just believe in term limits," he said, adding the board needs a new set of ideas and diversity. "I'm trying to pave a way to make sure these citizens, especially minorities, male or female, know that they can be a part of the town too."

William Boone is running for Position 4 alderman for the Collierville Board of Mayor and Aldermen. In 2018 Boone had challenged Alderwoman Maureen Fraser for her position.
William Boone is running for Position 4 alderman for the Collierville Board of Mayor and Aldermen. In 2018 Boone had challenged Alderwoman Maureen Fraser for her position.

Boone, a pediatric transport for Priority Ambulance, wants to represent the middle and lower class of Collierville. During his tenure he said he would focus on school infrastructure (including sidewalks for students) and curb taxes on residents with fixed incomes by bringing in businesses near highways.

Boone said the board seems to cater to "one crowd" in town and he wants every resident in Collierville to feel heard in government.

He also said he has "nothing to gain" from what he votes on if elected, it would strictly be about how it affects the town and its people.

"I'll make a difference with diversity, I've been there done that," he said. "I started from the bottom and worked my way up... I'm not trying to gain anything, just trying to help these citizens that don't feel like they've been represented."

Dima Amro covers the suburbs for The Commercial Appeal and can be reached at Dima.Amro@commercialappeal.com or on Twitter @AmroDima.

This article originally appeared on Memphis Commercial Appeal: Collierville elections 2022: Candidates for Position 1 alderman