Comcast announces $75 million expansion in Pueblo, Pueblo West

J.D. Keller, senior vice president of Comcast’s Mountain West Region, announces a $75 million investment into Pueblo County on Thursday.
J.D. Keller, senior vice president of Comcast’s Mountain West Region, announces a $75 million investment into Pueblo County on Thursday.

Comcast plans to invest over $75 million into upgrading existing services in the city of Pueblo and expanding its Xfinity 10G Network services into Pueblo West.

Through the investment, businesses in Pueblo will have increased data center access, more individual fiber lines and faster Wi-Fi with the potential to eventually reach speeds up to 100 gigabits per second. The expansion into Pueblo West will give residents and businesses access to Comcast's full suite of services, including broadband, cable television, landlines, mobile, smart home services and business products.

J.D. Keller, senior vice president of Comcast’s Mountain West Region, made the announcement March 9 at the Pueblo Xfinity Store, 5955 N. Elizabeth St.

Keller spoke to the need for students and local businesses to have high-speed internet access.

"Essentially, the days of our kids doing their homework on a phone, driving from Wi-Fi hotspot to Wi-Fi hotspot to do their homework and find a printer — those days are gone," Keller said. "For our kids to progress, they've got to have multi-gig speeds to do their homework and everything they need to do."

A selection of Xfinity home service products including an outdoor camera, indoor camera, video doorbell and smart lock conversion kit are shown here.
A selection of Xfinity home service products including an outdoor camera, indoor camera, video doorbell and smart lock conversion kit are shown here.

Pueblo education news:Pueblo's Corwin magnet school awarded national 'School to Watch' for fourth straight year

Construction related to the investment is underway in Downtown Pueblo and parts of Pueblo West.

Comcast plans for Pueblo West residents to be able to access services by this fall. Residents can expect to see hangers on their front doors announcing their house's availability for service. Pueblo West residents also may visit the Pueblo Xfinity Store and sign up to be notified of their availability.

The $75 million investment into Pueblo is part of a $1.2 billion Comcast investment in communities throughout Colorado over a three-year period, according to a news release.

In 2022, Comcast Colorado gave over $42.6 million to 260 community organizations for digital skills training, workforce development and technology education. The Boys and Girls Clubs of Pueblo County, United Way of Pueblo County and Southern Colorado Youth Development were among the local organizations supported by Comcast.

Pueblo also is home to four Comcast Lift Zones — community locations offering free Wi-Fi connectivity for students. Local Lift Zones include the Pueblo YMCA at 3200 E. Spaulding Ave., the Senior Resource Development Agency at 230 N. Union Ave., the Boys and Girls Club Sprague Clubhouse at 2601 Sprague Ave., and Southern Colorado Youth Development at 2828 Granada Blvd.

More:Creepy and kooky 'Addams Family' musical coming to Pueblo County High School

Keller said there is possibility for a fifth Lift Zone coming to Pueblo County.

"My team tells me that we may be investing in one more," he said. "I am not ready to announce it yet, but we are going to pressure our team to put one more Lift Zone in Pueblo so we can continue to contribute to the community."

Pueblo Chieftain reporter James Bartolo can be reached by email at JBartolo@gannett.com.

This article originally appeared on The Pueblo Chieftain: Comcast announces $75 million expansion in Pueblo and Pueblo West