Comedy club sent shocking abuse after it cancelled right-wing comedian's show over racist football posts

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Freelance Writer
·3 min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Andrew Lawrence posted a series of posts that caused offence following England's loss to Italy in the Euro 2020 final. (Twitter)
Andrew Lawrence posted a series of posts that caused offence following England's loss to Italy in the Euro 2020 final. (Twitter)

Police are investigating after a comedy club was sent an abusive email when they cancelled a comedian's upcoming show over racist tweets.

The Concorde Club in Eastleigh, Hampshire, pulled an upcoming appearance from right-wing comic Andrew Lawrence after remarks he made on Twitter about England’s penalty takers at the Euro 2020 final on Sunday.

After Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka and Jadon Sancho missed penalties in the deciding shoot-out, Lawrence wrote online: "All I'm saying is, the white guys scored."

He later added: "Equality, diversity, s*** penalties."

Marcus Rashford of England reacts after failed a penalty during the Uefa Euro 2020 Final football match between Italy and England at Wembley stadium in London (England), July 11th, 2021. Photo Andrea Staccioli / Insidefoto /Sipa USA
Marcus Rashford was one of the players targetted with racist abuse after missing a penalty during the final. (PA Images)
Staff at the Concorde Club in Eastleigh are 'shaken up' by abusive emails sent to them. (Google)
Staff at the Concorde Club in Eastleigh are 'shaken up' by abusive emails sent to them. (Google)

Lawrence later deleted his Twitter profile following a backlash and was removed from the line-up at a series of gigs.

After the Concorde Club cancelled his appearance next January, staff say they were sent threatening emails “of the most evil kind”.

In one message, which the club shared on its Facebook page, staff were told they would be "assaulted randomly", "grabbed and stabbed" and told that family members would be targeted.

Watch: 'Unforgivable' online racist abuse of England players condemned by boss

The email adds: ”Dyes will be generally thrown around the venue, especially onto customer's belongings.

"We will begin starting fires on the premises over the next few months. All vehicles in your car park will be regularly damaged.”

The club’s owners said that the email “has left some of our staff shaken”.

England's Bukayo Saka is consoled by manager Gareth Southgate and team mates after missing during the penalty shoot out following the UEFA Euro 2020 Final at Wembley Stadium, London. Picture date: Sunday July 11, 2021.
England's Bukayo Saka is consoled by manager Gareth Southgate and team mates after missing during the penalty shoot out at the Euro 2020 final. Saka was the victim of racist abuse after the match. (PA Images)

A spokesman for Hampshire Police told Yahoo News UK that they were now investigating.

He said: "Our officers received reports of malicious communications and threats to kill being made towards staff members at the Concorde Club on Stoneham Lane, Eastleigh on Monday 13 July.

"The investigation is in the early stages and as such police enquiries are ongoing at this time.

"Police have also provided appropriate safeguarding advice to the organisation and its staff members.”

Andrew Lawrence deleted his profile after a backlash to his tweets. (Twitter)
Andrew Lawrence deleted his profile after a backlash to his tweets. (Twitter)

Richard Bucknall Management, which represents Lawrence, said the comedian had been dropped from their books as a result of his posts.

Several other venues – including the Chesham Comedy Club, the Hanger Farm Arts Centre in Southampton and the Rosehill Theatre in Whitehaven have also cancelled Lawrence’s appearances, while websites including Worcester Live said they would no longer sell tickets for his shows.

Several members of England’s team were sent racial abuse following their loss to Italy on Sunday.

A mural of Rashford was also defaced and the prime minister met with social media companies on Tuesday to discuss how to deal with online racism.

Schoolboy Dexter Rosier wrote a letter of support to Rashford, while also sending one to Boris Johnson, accusing him of “not doing enough” to tackle racist abuse.

Boris Johnson announced on Wednesday that the government is changing football banning orders to cover online racism, meaning trolls who post racist abuse could be handed lifetime match bans.

Watch: People flock to Rashford mural with messages of support

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting