HOWARD COUNTY, MD — As of Tuesday morning, Howard County has a total of 2,561 positive new coronavirus cases, according to the Howard County Health Department, and 83 deaths. The state has 67,559 confirmed cases and 3,062 deaths total, reports the Maryland Department of Health. More than 10,844 people have been hospitalized.
The following zip codes have the highest confirmed case counts in Howard County as of June 30:
- 20145 - 449 confirmed cases
- 21043 - 380 confirmed cases
- 20723 - 371 confirmed cases
- 21044 - 332 confirmed cases
- 20175 - 306 confirmed cases
The county health department has its own website created to monitor the situation, broken down by new cases per day and other data. Cases also can be tracked via zip code. According to the Howard County Health Department, the majority of cases in Howard County are within the 25 to 49 age group.
Howard County had the state's first pediatric case after a 5-year-old girl who attends Elkridge Elementary tested positive.
For updates on the coronavirus in Maryland, get Patch news alerts.
The CDC advises doing the following to stop the spread of the virus:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If this is not available, use hand sanitizer that is at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Keep 6 feet of space between people.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.