By Kenny Katombe and Chrispin Mvano KINSHASA (Reuters) - Government forces said they captured the rebel stronghold of Rutshuru on Sunday in a third day of fierce fighting in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo in which one U.N. peacekeeper was killed and another injured. Following two months of relative calm in the region, fighting flared on Friday after peace talks in neighboring Uganda broke down when M23 rebels demanded a full amnesty for their leaders. President Joseph Kabila last week ruled out a blanket pardon. Three days of victories by government forces have raised the prospect that the army could defeat Congo's most important rebel group, ending a 20-month uprising which has displaced tens of thousands of people. Army spokesman Colonel Olivier Hamuli told U.N. radio Okapi on Sunday that government forces had recaptured Rutshuru, some 70 km (43 miles) north of Goma, the largest city in eastern Congo. Rutshuru had been taken by the rebels just over a year ago and was serving as a regional base. The army, which is attacking the rebel enclave in north Kivu province from the north and south, took the town of Kiwanja earlier on Sunday, a day after wresting the strategic outpost of Kibumba on the Rwandan border. "We are consolidating the zones we have conquered," Hamuli had earlier told Reuters. He refused to discuss rebel requests for a return to peace talks in Kampala, saying: "We will continue to do our jobs as soldiers." M23 said in a statement on Sunday it had withdrawn its troops from Kiwanja, accusing the army of sending in fighters in civilian clothing to try to draw U.N. troops into the conflict. M23 threatened to withdraw its delegation from the stalled peace talks in Kampala unless there was an immediate end to hostilities. It said it would then launch a large-scale counter-offensive. The U.N. mission in Congo (MONUSCO) said the Tanzanian peacekeeper was killed during fighting with M23 in Kiwanja. "The soldier died while protecting the people of Kiwanja," Martin Kobler, the head of MONUSCO, said in a statement. The previous round of clashes between the army and rebels in late August killed at least two Tanzanian peacekeepers. U.N. BRIGADE Rwanda, which denies U.N. experts' allegations that it supports the rebels, said on Friday that Congolese army shells had landed in its territory, raising fears of a regional conflict. Congo's army, supported by a new U.N. intervention brigade, scored its first victories against the rebel movement, which has been fighting for nearly two years, in late August, forcing the rebels away from Goma. The U.N. brigade has a tough new mandate to eliminate armed groups in the eastern provinces, though it has not been involved in the past three days of fighting. The support of the brigade and the weakening of the rebels has fuelled belief that Congo's army - notoriously disorganized, undisciplined and under-supplied - could defeat M23. Army sources told Reuters reporters in Goma that M23 had been weakened by desertions, with some 40 rebels taking advantage of a corridor created by the government troops to allow then to flee rebel lines. M23 began in early 2012 as a mutiny by soldiers demanding the government implement the terms of a 2009 peace deal signed with a previous Rwanda-backed rebel group, many of whose members had been integrated into the army. Army spokesman Hamuli said some M23 fighters had fled towards the Rwandan border in the face of the army advance. "There are small pockets of M23 resistance in the hills near Rwanda," he said. "We think Rwanda has to prove its good faith and oblige M23 to disarm, or disarm them itself." (Reporting by Pete Jones; Writing by Daniel Flynn; Editing by Alison Williams and Paul Simao)
Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting
Trump is suing his niece Mary Trump, The New York Times and three of its reporters.
It's "not an agenda," the Watergate journalist told MSNBC's "Morning Joe."
- The Daily Beast
YouTubeThe last text Gabby Petito sent before she went missing while road-tripping across the U.S. with her fiancé set off alarm bells for her mother, who became fearful for the 22-year-old’s safety after receiving the “odd” message.That’s according to a newly-unsealed search warrant giving North Port, Florida, police permission to search a hard drive investigators found in Petito’s white van, which she and Brian Laundrie, 23, had been using to tour the country’s national parks.“The text message
The Duke of Edinburgh passed away at the age of 99.
- Miami Herald
Camila Cabello looked like she was starring in a music video for the updated version of an old ’60s song the other day.
- E! News
Authorities confirmed they found the remains of YouTuber Gabrielle Petito, who was reported missing by her parents on Sept. 11. Read the FBI's statement here.
Search warrant for Brian Laundrie: Gabby Petito's mom says conversations and texts with her appeared to show 'more and more tension' between couple
The tenor of some messages, followed by a lack of communication from Petito, is what led her mother to contact authorities, according to the warrant.
A police note was found on Brian Laundrie's car after he disappeared following a hike into a Florida nature preserve, his family says
Brian Laundrie's family said they picked up the Ford Mustang from the Carlton Reserve in Florida when he didn't come home.
Twitter users pluck the feathers out of Mike Lindell over his latest wild claim.
Harvick's clash with Chase Elliott adds intriguing layer to next round of Cup Series playoffs.
Biden Had a Four-Word Reaction After He Found Trump's Giant Video Golf Setup in the White House: Book
“Trump's existence permeated the White House,” Bob Woodward and Robert Costa write in their new book, Peril
On Monday’s airing of The ReidOut, host Joy Reid addressed the massive media coverage surrounding Gabrielle “Gabby” Petito, the young […] The post Joy Reid calls out ‘Missing White Woman Syndrome’ amid Gabby Petito case appeared first on TheGrio.
- Washington Examiner
Florida authorities searching for the boyfriend of Gabby Petito said Tuesday that someone bearing his likeness was caught on a deer camera hiking through the wilderness.
Police say four people found dead in SUV in Wisconsin were killed in Minnesota, suspect reportedly told his father he ‘snapped’
UPDATE: 9.21.21 9:10 p.m. Suspect Antoine Suggs, who was reportedly casually dating Nitosha Lee Flug-Presley, one of four people found […] The post Police say four people found dead in SUV in Wisconsin were killed in Minnesota, suspect reportedly told his father he ‘snapped’ appeared first on TheGrio.
- E! News
Instead of dancing the night away at an after-party for the 2021 Emmys, Mandy Moore celebrated ending her awards night in the best way possible: by eating pizza in her pantry.
Now the story can be told. Two years ago, just after Bruce Bochy had managed his last game for the San Francisco Giants, Ron Fowler, then running the San Diego Padres, called Bochy to ask if he’d like to return to San Diego to manage his old club. Bochy, now 66, had a bifurcated 25-year […]
- Good Housekeeping
We did not expect this! 🙌
Actor Willie Garson, known for playing Stanford on Sex and the City and Mozzie on White Collar, has died at the age of 57, reportedly after a battle with cancer. Garson’s son Nathen confirmed the news on Instagram: “I love you so much papa. Rest in peace and I’m so glad you got to share […]
Five teams across all three NASCAR national series were penalized Tuesday for lug-nut violations from last weekend’s events at Bristol Motor Speedway. RELATED: Las Vegas weekend schedule | Cup Series standings Crew chiefs for each team were fined for the infractions, which stemmed from NASCAR officials finding one unsecured lug nut on each vehicle in […]
Jennifer Eakins reveals her latest list of players to consider dropping to make room for options with more upside on the waiver wire.