- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Limbaugh died from complications of lung cancer, his wife Kathryn announced on his radio show Wednesday. Read more: https://cbsloc.al/3atp8Ld
- Now at 5:00, conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh has died. Limbaugh died this morning at his home in Palm Beach following his battle with lung cancer. He was 70 years old.
RUSH LIMBAUGH: This is unreal.
- Conservative firebrand Rush Limbaugh pushed the envelope on talk radio and online commenting on everything from pop culture--
RUSH LIMBAUGH: Have we got fun in store for you today.
- --to politics for more than three decades.
RUSH LIMBAUGH: Let me tell you who we conservatives are. We love people.
- The Missouri native broke into radio in the '70s, soaring to fame in the '80s with his own nationally syndicated radio program.
RUSH LIMBAUGH: Welcome to the Rush Limbaugh program, a program--
- At one point, the "Rush Limbaugh Show" was the highest rated talk radio show in the nation, with millions of listeners known as Ditto heads. During that time, Limbaugh developed a reputation for his polarizing views and inflammatory rhetoric.
RUSH LIMBAUGH: We have a major immigration problem.
- In 2006, he famously mocked actor Michael J Fox for having Parkinson's disease.
RUSH LIMBAUGH: In this commercial he is exaggerating.
- In 2012, he referred to a Georgetown Law student as a slut and a feminazi for backing insurance coverage for contraceptives. He also promoted the false rumor that President Obama was actually born in Africa and used his show to promote the false birther conspiracy. The popular radio personality battled health issues throughout the years, including hearing loss and opioid addiction, which led to a stint in rehab. In 2015, he downplayed the dangers of smoking. Five years later, the cigar-loving Limbaugh announced he had advanced lung cancer.
RUSH LIMBAUGH: I have been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer.
- A staunch supporter of President Trump, the president awarded Limbaugh the Medal of Freedom in 2020, the nation's highest civilian honor.
DONALD TRUMP: He is the greatest fighter and winner that you will ever meet.
- While some on the left panned him as a divisive figure, Limbaugh described himself differently in a 1991 interview with "60 Minutes."
RUSH LIMBAUGH: The Most Dangerous Man-- no, I'm a harmless fuzzball.
- His booming voice and combative style helped pave the way for other commentators championing conservative causes in the media.
Rush Limbaugh had no children. He was married four times, three of which ended in divorce. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis reacted to the news. He posted on Twitter he and his wife are saddened to learn of the passing of fellow Floridian and our friend Rush Limbaugh. He posted a lengthy statement saying, in part, "Rush is the greatest of all time of radio, of conservative media, and of inspiring a loyal army of American patriots."