Here are the share-worthy stories from Washington, D.C., and northern Virginia Patches to talk about tonight:
The Loudoun County School Board is planning to accept public comment at its meeting Monday on a proposal to direct LCPS to select a new mascot for Loudoun County High School. Since 1954, the LCHS nickname has been Raiders, which is a reference to a Confederate Army unit led by John Mosby from the American Civil War known as Mosby's Raiders.
The Virginia Department of Health reported 624 additional cases of the coronavirus on Friday, an increase of almost 200 cases from the number reported Thursday. Officials also reported 25 new deaths from COVID-19 deaths, up from the 14 new deaths reported statewide Thursday.
An Alexandria police officer has been dismissed over a use-of-force incident. The police department has referred the case to the Office of the Commonwealth's Attorney to determine if criminal charges are warranted. According to the city, three supervisors who did not promptly investigate the use of force have also been disciplined.
Samvrit Rao, a student at Stone Mill Middle School in Ashburn, has advanced to the finals of the 2020 3M Young Scientist Challenge. The competition, sponsored by 3M and Discovery Education, recognizes students in grades 5-8, who use scientific thinking to create something that will improve the lives of people in their local communities and globally.
The U.S. House of Representatives passed a historic D.C. statehood bill Friday afternoon on a 232-180 vote. This is the first time either house of Congress has passed a bill that would make the District of Columbia a state.
Detectives from the Fairfax County Police Department's Major Crimes Bureau are investigating the death of a 17-year old from Silver Spring, Maryland, according to a police release. The teen died of an apparent drowning Thursday night in Lake Audubon.
Like many people, Leah Fri's life has been disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic. But, she hasn't let that stop her from doing something positive with her time.
Also Worth a Look Today
- Free Coronavirus Testing Event To Be Held In Fredericksburg
- Manassas Coronavirus Program Helps Residents Pay Rent, Utilities
- Premium Advice: Shop Around For Car Insurance In DC Region
- Ashburn HS Senior Wants Classmates To Take Pride In Achievements
- Request Special Election Ballot Before June 30 Deadline
- 2 Charged With Assaulting A Police Officer: Report
- Arlington Coronavirus Update: 5 New Deaths; 4 New Cases
- DC Coronavirus Update: 3 New Deaths; 26 Additional Cases
- DC Police Charge 2 In 2 Fatal Shooting Cases
- Retiring Oakton Nonprofit CEO Greeted With Drive-By Parade
- Fairfax County Coronavirus Update: ZIP Code Case Rates, Phase 3
- Alexandria Coronavirus: Long-Term Care Facility Data, Phase 3
- Madison Student Aims To Educate With Anti-Vaping Nonprofit
- Next Downtown McLean Study Meeting Coming Up
- FL Coronavirus Surge: 21 Counties Report Median Ages Under 40
- BLM Mural Plan For Trump Tower Block Leaves President Fuming
- Coronavirus: Texas Halts Economy Reopening Amid Growing Illness
- Governor's Mask Mandate Won't Be Enforced By This NC Sheriff