- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
On Thursday morning, while isolating after a workplace COVID-19 exposure, Ontario Premier Doug Ford apologized after the provincial government "moved too fast" to introduce new restriction for outdoor space and increasing policing powers last week.
"Last Friday, in response to extremely troubling modelling that told us we could see well over 15,000 cases a day, we moved fast to put measures in place to reduce mobility, but we moved too fast," Ford said. "I know that some of those measures, especially around enforcement, they went too far."
"Simply put, we got it wrong. We made a mistake. These decisions, they left a lot of people very concerned, in fact, they left a lot of people angry and upset. I know we got it wrong, I know we made a mistake and for that, I’m sorry and I sincerely apologize."
The premier also announced the provincial government will be fill the "gaps" in the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB), working on a provincial solution but with no timeline attached at this point.
Opposition parties in the Ontario instantly shot back at Ford, continuing to criticize the premier.
"Doug Ford knows he’s spiralling and that Ontario voters have lost confidence in his ability to manage this emergency. But 'Sorry, folks' won’t cut it," a statement from Ontario Liberal Party leader Steven Del Duca reads.
"A true leader would have already ensured essential workers were protected and essential workplace outbreaks were being stopped in their tracks. His cold hearted refusal to introduce sick days for more than a year cost lives... Anything less will be unacceptable and further proof that Doug Ford has got to go."
"On Friday, Doug Ford set people up to be ravaged by the third wave. Today, he didn’t give them anything to save them," a statement from Ontario NDP leader Andrea Horwath reads. "We cannot take any more of the delays, half-measures and disastrous decisions that cost lives."
"Every day he delays action, more lives will be lost, and more families and businesses will be devastated."
Ontarians took to social media to react to Ford's apology on Thursday morning, while outlining the actions that still need to be taken by the provincial government.