- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Josephine Smith was the first daughter of a firefighter killed on 9/11 to become an FDNY firefighter herself.
- [INAUDIBLE] Women's History Month, so our First Responder Friday is FDNY Josephine Smith. She was the first daughter of a firefighter killed on 9/11 to become a firefighter herself. Kevin Smith was squad 288, and at her graduation, she said, she lives by one motto, to make him proud. So I think she went on the job in 2014, if I remember right. But she recently received her first citation on New Year's Eve. She was working on a ladder 16 on a job, fire coming out, every window, 14 stories up, and just an amazing, courageous firefighter. I met Josephine at a charity stair climb. She's active with Ray Phifer Foundation, Tunnel to Towers. She's run the New York City marathon, just really a cool person. So if you see her on the East side of Manhattan, give her a shout out. Congratulations for all your hard work, Josephine. We appreciate it.
- So many remarkable women in our community.
- You know her dad is bursting with pride in heaven right now, looking down, saying, thank you for carrying on the good work. Thank you. Firefighter Smith.
- All right. What a fantastic woman. Props to her.