Daytona Memorial Day weekend weather: Keep an umbrella handy
DAYTONA BEACH — It might be a good idea to keep an umbrella handy as Memorial Day weekend unfolds at the World’s Most Famous Beach.
In addition to the opportunity for backyard barbecues and beach getaways, the long holiday weekend schedule also includes an array of events to honor the sacrifices made for freedom.
The biggest gathering will be the Heroes Honor Festival, a two-day event to honor the service of Vietnam veterans on Friday and Saturday at Daytona International Speedway.
It is expected to draw at least 20,000 spectators for a program that features Lt. Col. Oliver North, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, actress Ann-Margret and singers Toby Keith, Craig Morgan and Justin Moore, among others.
How the event came together: Heroes Honor Festival offers thanks to Vietnam vets with Toby Keith, Ann-Margret and more
Heroes Honor Festival FAQ: Toby Keith headlines Daytona Heroes Honor Fest: What you need to know
The bulk of that event will take place on Saturday, when the 20% likelihood of showers is the lowest of the holiday weekend, according to the forecast by the National Weather Service in Melbourne.
In addition to a 20% chance of daytime showers and thunderstorms, the Saturday forecast calls for mostly sunny skies with a high near 88 and west-southwest-winds of 5-10 mph. Saturday night is expected to be mostly clear, with a low around 70.
Rain chances are higher throughout the rest of the weekend, starting with a 60% chance of rain on Friday that drops to a 40% chance Friday night.
There’s a 40% chance of showers and thunderstorms on Sunday, with an expected high near 86. That evening, the rain chance diminishes to 20%, with a low around 72.
On Memorial Day, there’s a 50% chance of showers and thunderstorms, with a high near 85 and a light east-southeast wind of 5-10 mph in the morning. By Monday night, the rain chance drops to 20%, with a low again around 72.
Big crowds expected on beachside
For those headed to the beach this weekend, the Daytona Beach Police Department advises that it will out in force to help manage larger crowds attracted by an assortment of events.
The list includes the Heroes Honor Festival, high school graduations at the Ocean Center and an edition of the Daytona Beach Bandshell Summer Concert Series, as well as potential visitors for an Orlando Invades Daytona event that is unsanctioned by the city.
Because of the anticipated crowds, access to the drawbridge on Main Street will be reserved for those who live or work on beachside or those going to the Ocean Center for graduation ceremonies, according to police. Those attempting to use the bridge should have a driver’s license, graduation tickets or employee identification to show officers at a checkpoint on the western side.
Others heading to the beachside are encouraged to use bridges on International Speedway Boulevard, Seabreeze/Oakridge boulevards and Silver Beach/Orange avenues. Those bridges will be open as usual.
This article originally appeared on The Daytona Beach News-Journal: Memorial Day weekend forecast includes some showers in Daytona Beach