Update: DCNR removes some public restrictions at Laurel Mountain State Park Ski Area

The signs are down at the Laurel Mountain State Park Ski Area.

About two weeks ago, residents of the area surrounding the state park were upset that the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, aka DCNR, had put up signs prohibiting public hiking, biking and horseback riding on the entrance road to the state park ski area.

Why the signs went up:Trail access not restricted at Laurel Mountain State Park, manager says

On Friday, Doug Sphar, one of the local residents who has been vocally critical about the policy, sent an email to the Daily American to say that the signs prohibiting use of the entrance road were removed.

Sphar said in a second email, sent on Saturday, that he and Carmen Jarvis-Rose, another local advocate, had hiked on the road last Wednesday with Jeremy Rekich, a DCNR regional supervisor.

Local beauty:Vote for Laurel Highlands in USA TODAY Readers’ Choice Awards for Fall Foliage Destination

"He told us we raised good issues and our access request was reasonable," Sphar wrote. "He said we are all allowed to walk the road and visit the lake they call Blueberry Pond. The signs came down the following afternoon, Thursday, August 18."

Corey Snyder, park manager, confirmed in an email to the Daily American that the signs at the entrance road have been removed.

"The legally binding agreement remains intact, but our Regional Office decided that visitors will be permitted to hike this area, moving forward, to include: Summit Ski Road, up to the parking lot; the edge of the parking lot to Loop Trail, Locust Trail, Access Road Trail and Blueberry Pond (and) the trail around Blueberry Pond. The remainder of the concession leased area to the North will remain closed," Snyder said.

More local news:Somerset in the running for top adventure small town — only Pennsylvania town left

This article originally appeared on The Daily American: Entrance road reopened to public access at Laurel Mountain State Park Ski Area