- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
House impeachment managers presented evidence for several hours Wednesday in the second impeachment trial of Donald Trump; CBS2's Dick Brennan reports.
- Lawmakers on Capitol Hill are on a dinner break right now after House impeachment managers presented evidence for several hours in the second impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump. This afternoon, the House managers introduced video the public had never seen of the rioters inside the Capitol on January 6th.
CBS 2's Dick Brennan is in the studio with more. Dick.
DICK BRENNAN: Well, Dana, the new video shows what officers, members of Congress, and staffers faced as rioters made their way through the halls of Congress. We want to warn you, some of the video you're about to see is graphic and disturbing.
This is silent security camera video of the mob pouring in, taken from the inside. It's the first time they breached the walls of the Capitol.
- --Capitol entries! Multiple Capitol entries!
- All right, we're 30 seconds out.
- Well, we need some reinforcements up here now. They're just trying to pull the gates down. They're pulling metal poles out of--
DICK BRENNAN: Armed rioters made their way through the halls. Police officers desperately made calls for help.
- These people! These people!
DICK BRENNAN: Senators were looking to make an escape. Senator Chuck Schumer is seen running down the hallway. Mitt Romney of Utah walks away from the camera, only to be told by Officer Eugene Goodman to go the other way. Goodman would soon then confront the crowd. And he did his best to hold them off and lead them away from lawmakers.
- Rioters started to spread throughout the capital.
DICK BRENNAN: Vice President Mike Pence and his family were seen being evacuated. House managers say he'd been called out nine times by President Trump in the speech before the attack. And later, rioters could be heard calling out Pence.
- Hang Mike Pence! Hang Mike Pence!
DICK BRENNAN: At one point, one of the rioters, Ashley Babbette, attempted to climb through an open window. An officer pulled a gun and fired. Attackers were mobbing officers with hockey sticks, flags, and a bullhorn. And take a look at the same attack from body camera footage of an officer.
Officer Daniel Hodges was wedged in a doorway and described his ordeal.
DANIEL HODGES: They threw down a huge metal object that hit me in the head. I was also knocked down. The medical mask I was wearing at the time got pulled up over my eyes. So I was on the ground and blinded. And they started just attacking me from all sides.
DICK BRENNAN: Now, House managers will continue making their case this evening. President Trump's attorneys will have their chance to make their case later in the week. Dana.
- Dick, thank you.