2 dead, 4 injured after gunman opens fire on city water employees in Spartanburg

Two people died and four others were injured Thursday in a shooting and ensuing standoff with law enforcement in Spartanburg, South Carolina, according to police and media reports.

Two city water employees, a sheriff’s deputy and a woman were shot during the altercation but are expected to survive, officials said. A Charter Communications worker and another man believed to be the shooter died, WSPA reported.

The Charter employee was identified as 49-year-old Perry James McIntyre, of Landrum, who was working inside the house at the time of the standoff, according to the TV station.

“We are devastated by the loss of our co-worker, and our thoughts are with his family and friends at this difficult time,” Charter Communications said in a statement, according to WSPA. “We are working with the Greenville County Sheriff as they investigate this tragic incident.”

The second person, identified as 45-year-old Shannon Earl Smith, died at the hospital, WSPA reported. The Greenville County Sheriff’s Office said Smith is believed to have been the shooter, according to the TV station.

The shooting occurred around 2:30 p.m. near Cleveland Park while a team was working to repair a sewer main, Jennifer Candler, spokesperson for Spartanburg Water, told WYFF.

A man walked up, asked them what they were doing and started shooting, according to the TV station.

The two city employees were taken to Spartanburg Regional Hospital, WSPA reported. In a tweet just before 8 p.m., Spartanburg Water said they were “in good condition.”

“We are grateful for the incredible work done today by Spartanburg law enforcement officials and first responders,” Spartanburg Water said in a follow-up tweet. “Our hearts are with all those impacted by today’s senseless acts of violence, and we continue to hold them in our thoughts and prayers.”

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Law enforcement was called to the scene after the city employees were shot, Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright told media outlets during a news conference Thursday.

“We really don’t know what triggered anything or what happened before we got there,” he said.

The suspect barricaded himself inside a nearby home and a standoff with law enforcement ensued.

Major Art Littlejohn with the Spartanburg Police Department said they believed someone might be hurt inside, prompting law enforcement to try entering the house.

“During that time shots were fired,” Littlejohn told reporters. “Of course, shots were returned.”

A sheriff’s deputy was hit in the gunfire. Wright said Littlejohn “literally tore one of the banisters down, threw our deputy in the car and got him to the hospital.”

The deputy was shot twice in the arm and is expected to survive, Fox Carolina reported.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

The standoff ended shortly before 5:30 p.m., Wright said.

He said there were other people inside the house during the standoff. Their condition as well as the shooter’s was unknown as of Friday morning.

Wright said they know who the suspect is but did not release any information about him.

“Don’t know what started it. It’s a crazy thing — but we just don’t know what started it,” the sheriff said.

The Greenville County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, Wright said.