By Julia Payne ABUJA (Reuters) - Parents of 200 Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by Islamist rebels in April said they were appealing directly to the United Nations for help after losing hope that the Nigerian government would rescue them. A group lobbying for government action on behalf of the parents met with U.N. Women, the head of the U.N. representation in Nigeria, and with officials of the U.N. Office for West Africa last month. The group has also appealed to UNICEF, campaign spokeswoman Bukola Shonibare said. U.N. officials were not immediately available for comment. "If the government cannot take action, we are asking for the UN to come in and help and if they reject, we just don't know what to do," Reverend Enoch Mark, leader of the parents, told Reuters. Two of his daughters were kidnapped. It is not clear what any U.N. agency could do without Nigerian government approval. More than eight months since the abduction of the girls from Chibok, in remote northeastern Borno state, parents say they are still in the dark about what the government is doing. A presidential spokesman said efforts to free them continue but that details of the missions are too sensitive to publish. On April 14, Boko Haram militants raided the school while the girls were taking exams. They loaded 270 of them onto trucks. Around 50 escaped shortly afterwards. Boko Haram, which is fighting for an Islamic state and whose name means "Western education is sinful", had been kidnapping children for more than a year, but the scale of this attack shocked the world and sparked a #BringBackOurGirls Twitter campaign that drew in celebrities including Michelle Obama. The five year old insurgency has killed thousands of people, displaced more than a million and raised fears voting in presidential elections on February 14 will be impossible across stretches of the northeast. "The Chibok community is pained, we cannot take this anymore," Dauda Iliya, spokesman for the Chibok community in Abuja, said at a New Year's Day rally of parents, adding that they had written to the United Nations to "protest this neglect and nonchalance by the government." President Goodluck Jonathan says the government is trying to free the girls but a botched rescue mission would endanger them. Dozens, possibly hundreds, have been kidnapped since the Chibok attack. Two weeks ago, gunmen abducted 172 women and children from Gumsuri, 24 km from Chibok. [ID:nL6N0U237U] (Additional reporting by Felix Onuah; Editing by Tim Cocks and Ralph Boulton)
Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting
- The Columbus Dispatch
Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh added some trash talk of his own following the Wolverines' upset of Ohio State.
- Ellwood City Ledger
The Commonwealth Court recount results have been certified in Lawrence County
- The Daily Beast
GoFundMeOn November 19, Nathan Valencia, a 20-year-old Las Vegas college junior and fraternity member, fought a member of another campus fraternity in the “main event” of an annual boxing match.According to an Instagram flyer leading up to Kappa Sigma Fight Night, proceeds for the annual event were supposed to support Center Ring Boxing, a youth boxing club in Las Vegas.But the friendly match quickly turned tragic. View this post on Instagram A post shared by 𝐊𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐚 𝐒𝐢𝐠𝐦𝐚 (@unlvkappasigma) Accord
- Atlanta Black Star
‘She Should Spend Time In Prison’: Former DA Accused of ‘Showing Favor’ to the McMichaels Awaits Her Day In Court on Charges Over Delayed Arrests In Ahmaud Arbery’s Slaying
The men convicted of killing Ahmaud Arbery are not the only ones facing prison time for the February 2020 murder. Former Georgia District Attorney Jackie […]
- USA TODAY Sports - Golfweek
What happened in this video is enough to shake any golfer.
- Footwear News
The Palm Beach, Fla., resident, who permanently relocated from New York and Washington, D.C., looked elegant as she served her community ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday through the Be Best children's program she established as a first lady when her husband, Donald Trump, was in office.
- Rolling Stone
Lin Wood Goes Off the Deep State Deep End, Accuses Trump Lawyer Sidney Powell and Stop the Steal of Grifting
"After doing the research and connecting the dots, I have reached the conclusion that the Stop the Steal organization is a Deep State organization to raise money for purposes other than to FIX 2020," Wood posted on his Telegram
- NBC Sports Boston
Former Patriots quarterback Tom Brady had a very good Saturday afternoon thanks to Michigan's upset of its archrival, Ohio State.
- Seahawks Wire
The Seahawks announced a few roster moves today ahead of their Monday night matchup with Washington.
- The Columbus Dispatch
Social reactions of the Ohio State-Michigan football game as the Buckeyes regular season ends with a 10-2 record.
- Miami Herald
A mom in Florida helped her son out in a pinch. Actually, more than a pinch.
- Lebron Wire
Detroit Pistons center Isaiah Stewart publicly addressed his scuffle with Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James.
- Steelers Wire
The Steelers shuffled the roster ahead of Sunday's game with the Bengals.
- The Columbus Dispatch
Will Ryan Day go to the NFL? Lee Corso thinks so and Desmond Howard thinks he knows who will hire him
ESPN host Lee Corso said Ohio State Ryan Day is headed to the NFL soon and fans need to be ready.
- E! News
Ice-T and Coco's daughter Chanel proved she was the dancing queen by teaching her grandma how to twerk in a hilarious Instagram Story on Nov. 26. Watch below.
- Detroit Free Press
Ford CEO Jim Farley responded to actor Dwayne Johnson giving a Navy veteran his personal F-150 Raptor.
- NBC Sports BayArea
Giants free-agent pitcher Kevin Gausman is expected to make his decision and sign with a team in the next couple of days.
- Fox News
Queen Elizabeth II will apparently only pick up the phone for her daughter, Princess Anne, and racing manager John Warren. The two are seemingly the only people who the queen spends time talking on the phone with.
- E! News
Thomas Wells, who appeared on The X Factor and The Winner Is died on Nov. 13 following a freak accident at the tire manufacturing plant he worked at, according to wife Jessica.
- VC Star | Ventura County Star
Former Fillmore councilwoman Ari Larson died on Sept. 17 from a health condition that neither she nor her family knew about, an autopsy found.