Diocese of Youngstown adopts new logo

Catholic Diocese of Youngstown

YOUNGSTOWN − The Catholic Diocese of Youngstown has adopted a new logo.

The new look represents its historical coat of arms. Each diocese has a coat of arms that reflects both the universal church and the local diocesan church.

The Diocese of Youngstown's coat of arms is composed on a field of green, a traditional color denoting hope, and includes a wavy bar representing the Mahoning River.

More diocesan news:Catholic Diocese of Youngstown creates new magazine, multimedia hub

There also are two green arrowheads to honor the Native Americans who first inhabited, a cross pommetté, golden anvil and a golden dove in honor of the patron of its cathedral, St. Columba (whose name is translated as “dove”). The dove also is taken from the arms of Pope Pius XII, who created the diocese in 1943.

“It is fitting that we have a brand that is rooted in our history, ensuring continuity to our rich past as we forge into the future," Bishop David J. Bonnar said in a prepared statement.

The diocese’s updated branding was completed in partnership with 898 Marketing. The diocese comprises Ashtabula, Columbiana, Mahoning, Portage, Stark and Trumbull counties.

This article originally appeared on The Repository: Youngstown Diocese's new logo harkens to its history