Dog dies in fire at historic Hyannis house
HYANNIS − A dog died in a fire at a historic home on Pine Avenue Friday afternoon, according to the fire department.
The Hyannis Fire Department initially received reports of a structure fire at the corner of Pine Avenue and South Street at 2:11 p.m., later correcting the address to 151 Pine Ave. When firefighters arrived, they found a 2-story rooming house with smoke and fire throughout, according to a press release from the department.
Car 1 took command of the scene and requested a working fire assignment, drawing Heavy Rescue 1, Engine 4, and Centerville-Osterville-Marstons Mills 305 to the fire. Yarmouth and Barnstable provided station coverage during the fire. All utility companies, the building inspector, and animal officer were also called to the scene.
Seven adults were safely evacuated from the house and received assistance from the Red Cross.
The fire department and Barnstable Police Department continue to investigate the fire.
Known as the S. Alexander Hinckley House, the house was built in 1710 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Zane Razzaq writes about housing and real estate. Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter @zanerazz.
This article originally appeared on Cape Cod Times: Dog dies in fire at historic Hyannis house