Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump just said the US should consider "closing up" the internet to curb radical extremism. Trump, a man that routinely claims everyone in charge of the US is stupid, believes that as president he could just call up Bill Gates to help him shut off the internet. Trump floated the idea at a campaign rally at the USS Yorktown in South Carolina tonight as a way to stop ISIS "jihadists" from recruiting Americans to commit acts of domestic terrorism. The idea is so dumb it almost has us, too, at a loss for words.
"We're losing a lot of people because of the internet," Trump said. "We have to see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what's happening. We have to talk to them about, maybe in certain areas, closing that internet up in some ways. Somebody will say, 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people."
It's unclear if Trump was suggesting the US government censor certain parts of the web or if he lacks a basic understanding of how the internet works.
More from theverge.com:
- Apple’s new $99 iPhone battery case doesn’t measure up
- Star Wars star John Boyega talks diversity and dueling Adam Driver
- The US Navy’s largest destroyer ever heads out to sea
- Dell XPS 13 review: The best Windows laptop just got better
- Dropbox is shutting down its Mailbox and Carousel apps
- Joy is joyless, and easily David O. Russell's worst film
- Can Zoltan Istvan beat Hillary, Trump, and death itself?
- The Verge 2015 Holiday Gift Guide