- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Donald Trump has announced plans to write the "book of all books" - but fears over its accuracy have made major publishing houses reluctant to handle the former president's memoirs.
Even though Mr Trump's book would be a sure-fire bestseller, there are fears that the book would struggle to get past the fact-checkers and publishers would face a staff revolt if they took on the project.
According to the Washington Post, the former president made 30,573 false or misleading claims while in office - nearly half coming in his final year.
On Monday Mr Trump said he had already received -and turned down - substantial offers.
“That doesn’t mean I won’t accept them sometime in the future, as I have started writing the book,” he said.
“If my book will be the biggest of them all, and with 39 books written or being written about me, does anybody really believe that they are above making a lot of money? "
"Some of the biggest sleezebags on earth run these companies.”
None of the publishing "Big Five" - Penguin Random House, Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins, Macmillan Publishers, and Simon & Schuster - were aware of any deal in the offing, Politico said.
The reported snub is likely to infuriate Mr Trump, whose ghost-written Art of the Deal topped the New York Times best-seller list for 13 weeks in 1987.
Mike Pence, his vice-president, has secured a seven-figure deal for two books with Simon & Schuster. Other members of his administration including former press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders and former attorney general, Bill Barr, have also signed lucrative publishing deals.
Several major figures in the industry have voiced their concern over the veracity of Mr Trump's memoirs to the Politico website.
“It would be too hard to get a book that was factually accurate, actually,” one industry insider said.
“That would be the problem. If he can’t even admit that he lost the election, then how do you publish that."
Further details of Mr Trump's attempts to challenge the result of the November election emerged on Tuesday with the New York Times reporting that he leaned on Jeffrey Rosen, the acting attorney general after Mr Barr's departure, to order a Department of Justice investigation of alleged poll fraud.
The New York Times said that he wanted the DoJ to take up claims even though they had already been rejected by courts across the country.