Dover church celebrates Greek Independence Day with flag raising

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

DOVER — The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church held a flag-raising ceremony Saturday, March 25 in celebration of Greek Independence Day.

Members of the Dover Greek community were joined by local leaders, including state Sen. David Watters, D-Dover and Dover Mayor Bob Carrier.

The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church held a flag-raising ceremony in Dover Saturday, March 25 , 2023in celebration of Greek Independence Day.
The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church held a flag-raising ceremony in Dover Saturday, March 25 , 2023in celebration of Greek Independence Day.

Organizers provided the following remarks from the event:

"We honor the heroes of Greek Independence who, some 202 years ago, defied an empire and won their freedom. Their struggle reverberated around the world at the time and still echoes in the hearts of all Greeks today – wherever they may live. Let us take pride in their achievement and, even more importantly, let us prove worthy of their legacy,” said Mike Frudakis, president, Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church of Dover.

"As the Greek community celebrates its 202nd year of independence from foreign rule, we should take pause to bless our own freedoms at home and stand proud for America, the last great hope for the Earth,” said George Maglaras, chairman of the Strafford County commissioners.

More local news:Seacoast real estate agent suspended. RE/MAX closing Dover, Exeter, Hampton franchises.

The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church held a flag-raising ceremony in Dover Saturday, March 25 , 2023in celebration of Greek Independence Day.
The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church held a flag-raising ceremony in Dover Saturday, March 25 , 2023in celebration of Greek Independence Day.

"Greek Independence Day celebrates the extraordinary commitment of the Greek people to democracy and reminds all Americans of our common faith in the power of the people. It’s great to celebrate with Dover’s Greek American community,” Watters said.

More local news:ATM thefts and vehicle fires in Portsmouth, Somersworth: Brothers and wife charged

This article originally appeared on Fosters Daily Democrat: Dover NH church celebrates Greek Independence Day with flag raising