Downtown Brooklyn should get third ‘busway’ on Livingston St., pols say

Clayton Guse, New York Daily News
·1 min read

Most cars would be banned from a busy stretch of Livingston St. in downtown Brooklyn under a proposal pushed by three elected officials this month.

The street — which serves five Metropolitan Transportation Authority bus routes — should be converted into a “busway” between Flatbush Ave. and Boreum Place, the elected officials said.

“Livingston St. would be an ideal location for the next implementation of this program,” the politicians wrote in the April 1 letter. They added that a busway would “improve bus performance in an area where there are often stand-still buses due to traffic.”

The letter to Mayor de Blasio and NYC Transit Interim President Sarah Feinberg was signed by Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, Councilman Stephen Levin (D-Brooklyn) and Assemblywoman Joanne Simon (D-Brooklyn).

Busways — streets where through traffic is banned except for trucks or buses — have sped up commutes after they’ve been implemented on 14th St. in Manhattan and Main St. in Flushing, Queens, in recent years.

The street would be the third in downtown Brooklyn where buses get priority over cars. Fulton Mall has been a bus-only street since the 1970s, and city officials last year launched another busway on Jay St. The officials said a third busway would help push forward an initiative by the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership to make the area more pedestrian-friendly.

Livingston St. already has two bus lanes, but cramped traffic and lax enforcement often leaves bus riders in a slog.

De Blasio spokesman Mitch Schwartz the mayor would review the busway proposal.

“Word travels fast in this town, and it’s exciting – but not surprising – to see community leaders embracing Mayor de Blasio’s successful plans to speed up city buses,” Schwartz said.