How do the charter high schools in San Jose stack up?
We analyzed newly released data from Niche.com — including comprehensive report cards, rankings and reviews — to find out how schools in your area are performing and which have made the biggest leaps over the past year.
Downtown College Prep - Alum Rock's overall rating improved the most among similar schools in San Jose, rising from a C to a B-, according to data from Niche.
For the 2019-2020 school year, the school, located at 1776 Edal Park Drive, enrolls 642 students. Downtown College Prep - Alum Rock serves a diverse population: 89% of students identify as Hispanic. Niche gave the school mixed grades: C+ on an A-D scale for academics, B for administration and C for clubs and activities.
The overall ranking comes from Niche's proprietary algorithms. A school's ranking might change due to many factors, including the relative rankings of similar schools and whether a school gained or lost peers due to openings or closings. Other numbers come from current public data from the U.S. government.
Academically, 20% of Downtown College Prep - Alum Rock's students scored as proficient or above in math, and 35% did so in reading. That's compared to city averages of 34% in math and 54% in reading. The school's improved overall rating is notable in that it serves a less-affluent population, with 88% of students qualifying for free or reduced lunch, 26% more than the city average.
While some charter high schools in San Jose are moving up the ranks, others are consistently top-rated overall, including:
- University Preparatory Academy Charter School, with an overall rating of A+.
- KIPP San Jose Collegiate, with an A- rating overall.
- Summit Public School: Rainier, rated A- overall.
Want more of the latest intel on San Jose schools? Hoodline also analyzed the latest Niche ratings for the city's public high schools.
This story was created automatically using data from Niche.com, then reviewed by an editor before publication. Click here for more about how and why Hoodline is automating local news. Got thoughts about what we're doing? Go here to share your feedback.