A 24-year-old man who was shot by police during a gunbattle on Lower Wacker Drive has been charged with attempted murder of a police officer while his two companions are also facing charges after the Wednesday night attack, police said.
Shot was Edgardo Perez, who was charged with attempted murder, unlawful use of a weapon and criminal trespassing to a vehicle during the incident, which happened about 8:45 p.m. in the 200 block of East Lower Wacker Drive as officers were trying to stop a car they were in, police said.
As officers approached the car, which had been stolen in a carjacking, gunfire was exchanged between police and occupants of the car, police said.
With Perez was Jesse Sanchez, 21, who was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, possession of controlled substance and criminal trespassing to a vehicle while Noel Centeno, 20, was charged with receiving, possessing, or selling a stolen vehicle. Centeno was also wanted on a warrant , police said.
While Sanchez and Centeno were taken into custody, Perez was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, initially in critical condition, police and Chicago Fire Deputy District Chief Curtis Hudson told the Tribune.
Two guns were confiscated at the scene.
Two police officers, a 34-year-old who was in good condition and a 30-year-old in fair condition, were taken to Rush University Medical Center and Northwestern Hospital, respectively, Hudson said. The officers did not suffer gunshot wounds, he said.
The Civilian Office of Police Accountability responded to the scene and was investigating.
The officers involved will be placed on administrative duties for 30 days.
Perez, of the 6400 block of North Leavitt Street; Sanchez, of the 1600 block of West Lunt Avenue; and Centeno, of the 4000 block of North Moody Avenue, were due in court on Friday.