DR Congo Ebola outbreak has killed 42 since August

1 / 21

The WHO will announce the end of a two-year Ebola outbreak on January 15, 2016, to "mark 42 days since the last Ebola cases in Liberia were tested negative" (AFP Photo/Evan Schneider)

The WHO will announce the end of a two-year Ebola outbreak on January 15, 2016, to "mark 42 days since the last Ebola cases in Liberia were tested negative"

Kinshasa (AFP) - The Democratic Republic of Congo raised its death toll from the Ebola virus to 42 on Wednesday as it struggled to contain the second outbreak of the disease in Africa this year.

The latest figures include eight health workers, Health Minister Felix Kabange Numbi said in a message sent to AFP.

Some 70 cases of the deadly virus have been confirmed in a remote region near the town of Boende some 800 kilometres (500 miles) northwest of Kinshasa, with a mortality rate of around 60 percent.

According to the World Health Organization and the authorities in Kinshasa, the outbreak is not related to the worst ever epidemic of the virus which has killed more than 3,000 people in west Africa this year.

A month ago, the government said 32 people had been killed in the outbreak, the seventh Ebola outbreak since the disease was first identified in the former Zaire in 1976.

The last case in DR Congo, which has an incubation period of three weeks, was confirmed on 24 September, said the minister. Last month, Congolese authorities had declared the outbreak was "on its way to being controlled".