Most Triangle school systems have canceled in-person classes on Friday due to the threat of slick roads from an oncoming winter storm system.
The Wake County school system, Johnston County Schools, Durham Public Schools and Franklin County Schools have made Friday a snow day where schools will be closed and no remote learning will occur.
The Chapel Hill-Carrboro school system will switch to a remote learning day on Friday with school employees also working remotely.
Here’s a closer look at closings and remote classes in the Triangle:
▪ Wake County: All classes and extracurricular activities will be canceled on Friday and Saturday in the Wake County school system. In addition, all district schools will close at 6 p.m. Thursday.
Wake said that students will not have to make up Friday because they’ll use banked instructional time.
▪ Durham Public Schools announced that schools will be closed Friday for staff and students. All athletic and extracurricular events for the weekend are canceled.
Durham said Monday might be a remote learning day if conditions do not improve over the weekend.
▪ Johnston County schools will also be closed Friday for students and staff. A makeup day will be announced later.
▪ Franklin County schools will be also be closed Friday for students and staff. All extracurricular activities and athletic events are canceled for Friday and Saturday as well.
Snow day or remote learning day
School districts that cancel in-person classes now have the ability to switch to a remote learning day. Schools distributed laptop computers and, in some cases, hotspots to students for use during the COVID-19 pandemic.
▪ Chapel Hill-Carrboro: In addition to making Friday a remote learning day, Chapel Hill-Carrboro has canceled or will reschedule all sports, activities and events scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Also, all Thursday evening events are canceled.
Chapel Hill-Carrboro is also changing Monday’s previously scheduled teacher workday into a remote workday.
▪ Orange County: Students at most schools in the Orange County school system already have Friday off because it’s a scheduled teacher workday. However all school offices and buildings will be closed.
Hillsborough Elementary, which is on a year-round calendar, will have at-home remote classes.
▪ Chatham County: All classes will be moved remotely for students and staff. All school buildings and district offices will be closed.
This is a developing story and will be updated.