PHILADELPHIA, PA — One of the key members of the Eagles offensive line, Lane Johnson, revealed on Wednesday that he has tested positive for coronavirus. Two other Eagles were also added to the team's COVID-19 list Wednesday, but it's not confirmed if they have the virus.
Johnson said he had been tested numerous times over the past few months and tested negative each time. He said Wednesday he feels "strong and ready to go" for the 2020 season, whatever that shapes up to be. The status of the other two players, linebacker Nate Gerry and tackle Jordan Mailata, is not clear.
The news comes as the NFL looks to ramp up ahead of the 2020 season, which is still scheduled to start as expected.
Johnson did not elaborate on if he ever felt symptoms, but reiterated that he is strong and healthy now.
"I have been working hard in preparation for a long, grueling season and have tried to take all the necessary precautions to build a safe and healthy environment during the sessions," he shared in a message on social media Wednesday. "I have and will continue to take this seriously and encourage everyone else to do so as well."
Johnson added that recent negative tests including ones taken after he attended the Offensive Linemen Masterminds Summit earlier in July.
Being placed on the list does not mean a player has the virus, as it could also mean a player has been in close contact with an infected individual. The NFL has instituted similar rules to Major League Baseball in that a team cannot comment on a player's specific medical status as it relates to a positive test, but can only confirm if they've been placed on a list.
In the case of Johnson, at least, it sounds as if he plans to be ready for the start of the season, presuming he is able to test negative and pass the league's safety protocols in the interim.
Johnson has been named to three Pro Bowl teams in his time with the Eagles, establishing himself was one of the NFL's pre-eminent offensive linemen.